PRETTY POLLY: Saw Mt. String Band

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's an old time version of Pretty Polly. I sang lead and played guitar and mandolin on this one. Marcy played fiddle. Jeff played 5 sing banjo. We are the Saw Mountain String Band.

This song sparked quite a lively debate the last time I posted it. Here's the link to the discussion from 2010.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...cussionid=1957
  2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really good. Hope this features on your second album. A haunting feeling, perfect for the murder ballad genre with every component contributing to this, kicking off with the spooky mandolin intro and then into Marcy's unsettling fiddle and Jeff's shimmering banjo. Well done everyone.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks so much James. It was a really fun challenge to match the eerie mood Michael set in this one.
    About that lively discussion four years back--I found an answer for Bertram about the meaning behind the murder. Here's an explanation for you... better late than never. According to the article linked below, the ballad lost a few verses of motives and back-story on its way over to America, Unfortunately, it also seems to have lost the verses at the end where Polly gets the final word.
    http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOl...ettyPolly.html
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    One more vote from me to Michael's Mad Mood Machine, capturing it all very well.

Thanks Marcy for digging that up, it seems to show that at least European murderers don't always get away with it, and that despite all preparation any murderer has one witness he can't get rid of: himself. Shakespeare knew that and provided similar surprises for his antagonists:

Despair thy charm,
    And let the angel whom thou still hast served
    Tell thee, Macduff was from his mother’s womb
    Untimely ripped.

(Macbeth Act 5 Scene 8)
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Spooky atmosphere which really suits the song, folks. Your vocals here are just right for the song, Michael. Another very enjoyable rendition, arrangement and visuals. The SMSB goes from strength to strength.
  6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I remember that first posting. This song has not lost any of its eeriness. On the contrary! Great work, SMSB.