5 Years of SAW Group

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Week 260 means SAW has now been going for five years. I think a big vote of thanks is due to Barbara for faithfully leading the group during all that time.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well spotted, that man! Happy birthday, and thanks to Barbara, and to Marcy for stepping in the odd times B is not able to post the SAW choice.
  3. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Happy Birthday SAW. And all our thanks to Barbara.
    Now on with the show.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Happy birthday. And haven't we done half the musical history in those weeks and countless videos and SAWed them all to pieces; there's hardly any piece of music left that you can't send anybody to the SAW group for (at least none worth mentioning ).
    Thanks again to Barb and Marcy for keeping the engine running.
  5. llamela
    llamela
    Indeed, it is impossible to given due thanks to Barbara for this astounding body of work and to all those who have contributed. Her role has been amongst others that of an editor, collating arguably the most comprehensive list of tunes and videos for the mandolin on the web, all the while offering encouragement and affirmation to the players. This is already an amazing pedagogic tool which when coupled with the various threads of discussion constitutes something akin to the mandolin version of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Barbara, we are indebted to you.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I have to say a huge thanks to you Barbara as well. This collection of tunes has grown into an excellent resource for so many musicians. And on a personal level, I'm extremely grateful for everything I've learned over the last four years and everyone I've had the chance to meet.
    This group runs so smoothly and is such an encouraging place. Your ideas for including all styles, allowing everyone to submit tunes to be voted on, putting the tune up for a vote, and making discussion welcome have brought together such a fun community of learners from all around the world. Thanks for everything you do to keep it going.
  7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yes, thanks to Barb, Marcy and all others who have contributed and encouraged me and others.
    Some of you who deserve special mention IMHO: David Mold, Michael Pastucha, David Hansen, very proficient musicians, who have freely shared their knowledge and playing over the years.
    I joined in December 2009, and for a long time, while in Germany, this forum and SAW was my only connection to the mandolin world.
    Now, after 2 1/2 years in Virginia, I have actually met bluegrass musicians and other mandolin players. I have been busy practicing tunes and improv for jams and this is why I don't contribute as regularly as I used to. Too many notes and so little time.
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I joined in Aug 2010 and I'm so glad I did. This is not just a place to learn new tunes, but a friendly community of mandolin players from around the world who freely share their knowledge and abilities. Thanks Barb!
  9. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks Barbara for running the show, and everyone who contributes. I joined about a year ago. I first started playing mandolin 25 years ago but gave up after a few years because I never met anyone who played, and being the pre-internet era I had nobody to learn from and received no encouragement. It's impossible to know how many people have taken up the mandolin because of the SAW group, or who have stuck with it, but I'm guessing it is the most influential resource for the mandolin on the internet.
  10. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Well done, group! For lurkers like me, it's a terrific way to learn new tunes and get new ideas.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thank you for the thanks! I know in the beginning, I had (or seemed to have had) more time to devote to finding more on the tune of the week to post, and for making videos! Life sure has a way of getting in the way of life... if you know what I mean, and I want to thank all of you for keeping this the great resource that it is... without ya'll contributing, it wouldn't be much, no matter how many polls I posted or tune of the weeks we came up with! And, I want to especially thank Marcy for helping me out during these times when my time seems to be so limited! Without her help, I must say, these last few weeks (or months) would have been especially hard for me!
  12. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I am also grateful for the SAW community and tune library. It's cool to hear so many different styles and mandolins. My thanks to everyone who contributes and especially my SAW Hall of Fame nominees, in no particular order, Eddie, Jill, Bertram, Tosh, Marcelyn, Pastucha, Maudlin, Hansen, and Barbara.
  13. Tavy
    Tavy
    Wow 5 years already? I remember this starting up, and it's great to see you all still going strong, keep up the great work!