New Boviers are wonderful

1. mandobassman
    mandobassman
    I was really fortunate to get my J Bovier A5 just when Jeff was going with the new Chinese maker. Timing is everything. A good friend of mine, that I play in a band with, had recently purchased a used JB F5 Tradition for $800. I was so blown away with its sound that I seriously considered buying a JB myself. He was so impressed with not only his mandolin but Jeff Cowherd himself, that he became a dealer for J Bovier. I had been playing a Breedlove for the past six years that I was totally happy with and had never really considered an upgrade. He had received a couple of others for other customers and, after playing them, decided to get one myself. It was then that I found out Jeff was working with a new factory in China and he only had the two initial A5 models in stock. He would be getting more A5's in another month or so, but I couldn't wait till then, so I got what turned out to be the very first A5 made in the new factory and was the one used for the website photos (mine is the sunburst model, the other was a black face). I received it just at the beginning of 2013. As much as I loved the sound from my Breedlove, it was immediately apparent that the J Bovier A5 was a much better sounding mandolin. I've been play it for over a year now and I am still blown away by not only how good it sounds, but how easily it plays. It is a wonderful instrument that easily defies it's low price. Yes, there are better mandolins. However, I have played a few The Loars and Eastmans and Kentuckys and none in this price range even come close to the quality and tone from this JB. Good work Jeff.
  2. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Larry, I totally agree. I've been really impressed with the JB's I've had the opportunity to get sound clips of. What really did me in was a clip on their Facebook page from a gentleman named Leo, from Sweden. He had an F5 Special, and the tone just made my ears setup and take notice. Had a nice, throaty, rich sound on some more modern stuff he demo'd, then took off when he went bluegrass. I'm totally impressed with what I'm hearing from owners such as yourself, too. Add all that to the excellent support I've been getting from Kyle at the MandoShop, and I pulled the trigger on one of the A5 T's on his site. 11407, to be exact. I can't wait to get her here and get playing around with a new feel. Thinking seriously about your FW-74's, also, to maybe warm up the sound a bit.
  3. mandobassman
    mandobassman
    Hi Michael, Hope you get a good one. I have yet to hear a bad one, but some are better than others. I'm curious how Jeff does his serial numbers. Mine is a six digit number and it was the first one made in the 2013 models. I noticed yours is a five digit number. Anyway, that A5 T is basically the same as mine with different binding and slightly less flame in the maple back and sides. From what I hear though, the sound is very consistent. I've been thrilled with mine.
  4. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    I'm very pleased with it. It just has a very balanced, full tone, but a certain "brightness" to it. It just seems more, for lack of a better term, musical than my previous mando. Best way I can describe it is in electric guitar terms, it's like going to a good Strat after playing a Les Paul. Both good instruments, but different voices. I was surprised at the quality of fit and finish at this price,too. All-in-all, HAPPY!