Eastman 615

1. Mandoukelady
    Mandoukelady
    Hi everyone, I am very new to mandolin, having spent time with guitar in the past, and more recently ukulele. I bought a cheap mandolin recently and felt I wanted something which would keep my interest sound and performance wise so I ended up on a frustrating search in the UK for a decent instrument that didn't cost the earth and then some, and more importantly, was well set up. I ended up buying a used 615 from TAMCO here in the UK and looking forward to receiving it on Wednesday - will post some photos when it arrives.

Excited about it, a bit guilty at having spent so much -Ukelele Acquisition Syndrome is generally a lot cheaper! And a teeny bit worried that as a rank mando beginner, the 615 will be "too good" and I should be sticking with my cheapie (branded AXL, think they are now marketed as Savannahs - cost about $30 with its semihard case from a local sales board! )

Hoping my choice of an Eastman 615 with its Schertler pickup will be a good one for a few years yet and looking forward to my musical meanderings with it.
  2. Gene Summers
    Gene Summers
    Mandoukelady, Congrats on your new Eastman! :-) They are well built mandolins, and sound good when new, even better with playing and age. I have had mine for 5 months now, and really like it. I am using J74's now, but want to try the DR's in the future. They are voiced towards midrange, and have a good attack. ENJOY!
  3. Ron Cox
    Ron Cox
    Congrats on the new Eastman! Mine came home today as well!

The Eastmans are an incredible value and you can go a long way with them, just don't give up! The 615 is a lot of Mandolin and I think that you made the right choice stepping up (hopefully without mortgaging the house) to a great quality instrument.