The Anniversary Waltz - from "Waves of the Danube"

1. WillFly
    WillFly
    "The Anniversary Song" is the first theme of a four-part Viennese-style waltz by the Romanian composer Ion (or Iosif) Ivonovici called "Waves of the Danube" and published in 1880. Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin popularised "The Anniversary Song" in the USA with their adaptation of this theme in 1946. The other three themes in "Waves of the Danube" are pleasant but - to my ear - don't have the same resonance as the first part.

By sheer coincidence, I see that Martin Jonas has recently posted his version of "Waves of the Danube"! Great minds think alike, Martin - except that you've been more thorough than me and recorded the whole waltz!

I've chosen to play the tune three times through on tenor guitar with mandolin, guitar and acoustic bass guitar backing. The mandolin steps forward in the second chorus to play a little counter-harmony I put together. I wanted to give this piece the feel of the Viennese zither as played by Anton Karas in his composition, "The Harry Lime Theme" from the film "The Third Man".

The tune is played in Dm and you can get the chords and tabs and music for tenor guitar, mandolin and guitar from my website at:

http://www.willflyguitar/The Anniversary Song.pdf