Waves Of The Danube

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Ion Ivanovici (1845-1902): Donauwellen/Waves Of The Danube

Arrangement for two mandolins and guitar published in New York by O. Di Bella, c. 1920s.

This is one of a large batch of Di Bella arrangements I was sent recently. I've attaching the scanned sheet music to my post in the Classical forum (Link), along with the MP3 of my recording. As notated, each section should be repeated, but I'm omitting all repeats to keep my recording a manageable length. I used to play a shorter version for the same instrumentation published by O. Pagani (a competitor of Di Bella), but this one is a much better arrangement.

Waves Of The Danube was a big success in the 1880s and has been used in many adaptations since then, including as the melody for "The Anniversary Song", a hit for Al Jolson in 1946. It's one of the best-known Viennese waltzes, although not to be confused with the even better-known Blue Danube by Strauss. Ivanovici was Romanian, and I have therefore picked images of the Romanian part of the Danube to illustrate the video, rather than the more familiar Austrian and Hungarian stretches.

Mandolin 1: 1890s Umberto Ceccherini
    Mandolin 2: 1915 Luigi Embergher
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

[MP3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118320&d=1398123085[/MP3]

Martin
  2. WillFly
    WillFly
    Martin - good on you for tackling this tune in its entirety on four nice instruments!