Week #261 ~ Patsy Geary's

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week it was a close one between 3 tunes! The winner is Patsy Geary's which was submitted as an Irish Traditional jig. I'm not familiar with this tune. But I love IT jigs!

I found, on thesession.org that this tune is also known as: Micin Callaghan’s, Mickey Callaghan’s, Mickey O’Callaghan’s, Sweet Biddy Daly, The Yellow Rose Of Texas.

Here's the link to the tune on thesession.org. There are three settings for the tune on this link.

I also found, again on thesession.org, this same tune (name) which is also known as: An Cru Capaill, An Crú Capaill, Bryony Lemon’s, The Horse Shoe, The Horseshoe.

Here is the link to this tune on thesession.org. There are 8 settings to this tune on this link.

Here's a link to abc's to a tune called Patsy Geary's on abcnotation.com

This site has abc, pdf and midi files on a tune they call Patsy Geary's Slide

Here's a You Tube video of a couple of tunes by the Bothy Band, the first of which they call Patsy Geary's:

In searching for this on You Tube, it seems that it's almost always paired with another tune or two! It also seems to be interchangeably a jig or a slide!
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely played! (Is it just me, or does anyone else hear bits of the "Yellow Rose of Texas" in the a part?)
  3. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Patsy Geary's, recorded with my 20 A model and CT55 pick. I use a Samson USB mic, placed about 6 inches away from the mandolin, and run it to my computer and Audacity free download software.
  4. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    MIchael, I agree! This tune should be called 'The Yellow Rose of Patsy Geary'.
  5. bainseo5
    bainseo5

First Post to this group. Hope to keep up with the song a week in the future
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David and Dusty, two good versions and so different in tempo and feel.
    Bainseo, a very relaxed and well-played first posting. Both hands working so well in the video! Looking forward to more from you.
  7. bainseo5
    bainseo5
    Thans John, I'm a big fan of you stuff on youtube, thanks for the enouragement!
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    David, that Sobell sounds so great in your hands. Dusty, another clean run, loved the tune and the pics. Bainseo, welcome and wonderful picking there. Keep posting.

Michael, you are correct about the Yellow Rose of Texas. Barbara indicates it as an alternate name for the tune. Must be an immigrant story there somewhere.

I was taken by the Bothy Band's version and one of the abc notation settings posted by Barbara indicated the turns that they use so I thought I would try them. I looked musical turn up on wikipedia for a definition, and one is specified, but I guess turns are played differently by different people which is fortunate since I found that maybe bagpipers and fiddlers can do turns but this mandolinist can't, so I kind of faked them a bit. Good practice, however, since the turns in this tune are initiated on either the first, second or third finger.

I also tried out my octave mandolin on the tune which was a struggle in parts and definitely couldn't even fake the turns.

[mp3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118615&d=1398778471[/mp3]
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, whatever you play, you always sound like an orchestra. Great version.
    dusty and flexifingers , very nice and solid playing. Great sound with that octave mando. One of these days I'll get one, too.
    Welcome bainseo5. Very good (and fast !) first post.

10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Really great job Manfred, and so effortless and smooth...
  11. Francis J
    Francis J
    Great work everybody, some lovely versions. I haven't posted in a while, so here's my effort, no frills!!

12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really great job, Francis. It's fun to see a post from you again.
    After watching all these, I can't help but notice the fantastic demonstration in triplets this week.
    Welcome to the group Bainseo. I'll look forward to more from you.
    And congrats on the new octave Bob! It really sounded full when that came into the mix.
  13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Yes- great triplets Francis. My version has none but I have included the variation from The Session.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thank you maudlin for the hint to the variations. That gave me a lot to practise ... I also listend carefully to all the other versions. Enjoyed them all. So here is what I manage at the moment:

15. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Patsy Geary's on my newly acquired Lyon & Healy mandolin banjo.
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Really nice instrument dustyamps and seems to be in a good shape. I like your detailed pics. It's a great sounding instrument too. I've a mandolin banjo made by musima in the 70s, I guess. It's very loud but difficult to play. May be it need a setup.