Week #258 Grey Cat on a Tennessee Farm

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This weeks winner is a fun fiddle tune by Uncle Dave Macon called Grey Cat on a Tennessee Farm
    Here's ABC notation...
    X:1
    T:Grey Cat on a Tennessee Farm
    M:2/4
    L:1/8
    S:Uncle Dave Macon
    B:Kuntz - Ragged But Right (1987)
    Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion
    K:D
    [D-A-]||[DA]B/A/ dd/e/|f/d/e dd/B/|A/F/A/B/ d/B/d/B/|A/F/E D:|
    |:[A/A/][A/B/][A/A/][A/A/] [F/A/][A/A/][F/A/][D/A/]|[E/A/][D/A/][E/A/][A/A/] [F/A/][D/A/][D/A/][D/A/]|\
    [A/A/][A/B/][A/A/][A/A/] [F/A/][A/A/][F/A/][D/A/]|[E/A/][D/A/][E/A/][F/A/] [DA][A-A-]:||

You can copy and paste the ABC above to convert it to mandolin tab, standard notation, or a midi sound file here...
    http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php
    Here's Grey Cat on a Tennessee Farm from Uncle Dave Macon...

I started on this one today and found it really easy to pick up by ear. Here's a few videos that were helpful.
    This first is from a dulcimer club. They play a bare-bones version that's easy to jump in with after you hear it once or twice.

This musician demonstrates the melody first on mandolin and then shows how it's done on clawhammer banjo. He adds variations and plays it through slowly.

Here's the Canote Brothers I remember from when we did Sadie at the Back Door I think...

These guys do a good job with it too...

Here it is from another good fiddler...
  2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Always glad to see the Canote Brothers. They are twins that are now out of Seattle.
    They stopped playing Bluegrass and started Ole Time music 45 years ago.
    Their life is their music, and they love every minute. They also love teaching it.
    If you like OT and ever get a chance to see them or take a workshop don't miss out.
    Sometimes they do have mandolin workshops. True American Jewels.
    [Even though I think they were born in Canada?]
    Gary
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love that arrangement, David. From what I could find earlier, I think you have the first great mandolin version of this tune on line.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Everything about that performance is just right. Especially the singing – it's so old time and filled with fun. Well done!
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great, David. You are always such a hard act to follow. All that array of instruments and now your voice on top of it ....

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great playing on a really nice mandolin...!
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What great variations, Manfred. I love the slides and double stops too. That sounds wonderful.
  8. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Played through first on a mandolin banjo and then on mandolin.