Harry Potter themes: Hedwig's Theme/Harry's Wondrous World

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an arrangement of two tunes from the Harry Potter soundtrack, both written by John Williams, which I found online and have adapted for mandolins. The arrangement was scored for two violins, cello, string bass and piano. I have left out the piano part, gave the cello part to the tenor guitar (along with the kick-off from the piano part), the bass part to the mandocello, and played the two violin parts on mandolin.

I'm not sure either the tunes or the arrangement are particularly suited to mandolin, or to a small ensemble arrangement -- the theatrical oomph is missing -- but they're fun to play, especially Hedwig's Theme, and the mandocello is rather effective in making a bigger sound.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin

[Edit 21-JUN-2014: Re-recorded with faster tempo and different mandolins, Youtube link updated.]
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like your mood-setting tremolo, Martin. Whenever I play Crested Hens from week #82, I can't help thinking of this Harry Potter score.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    <Superseded by my later posting below>
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've re-recorded the same arrangement, but at a faster tempo, with less tremolo and using the A-jr for the lead. I think this works better -- more lively than the first attempt.

I've updated the Youtube link in my original post to show the new recording.

Martin
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Martin - I remember your arrangement – well performed as chamber music piece.

Simon - that’s very moody multi-track recording. You did a great job to build up tension with different playing techniques. All fit together very well – including the church bells.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, yes it does have a moody feel to it. It took ages to mess about with all those tracks -I was pretty moody by the end of it!
    I wanted more fireworks to conclude it but thought that a lot of shivering and fluttering tremolo on the octave would be more bird-like.

Then I decided to just enjoy it as an experiment in diverse emotionally expressive techniques.
    Maybe add a bass line next time.