Week #272 ~ King of the Pipers

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is King of the Pipers, which was submitted as an IT jig. I'm not familiar with this tune!

The Session says that it is also known as The King Of Pipers, The King Of The Pipers, King Of The Pipes, The King Of The Pipes, Ri Na Bpiobairi, Turlough McSweeney.

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org

and here is the abc from that site:

X: 1
    T: King Of The Pipers
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Ador
    |:cAG A3| DED A2B| cAG A2A| DED GED|
    cAG A3| DED GED| F2F E2E| DEF GED:|
    K:D
    d2e faf| ecA ABc| dcd efg| faf gfe|
    d2e faf| ecA AGE| F2F E2E| DEF GED:|
    B2G A2G| BGE E2=c| B2G AGE| GED D3|
    B2G A2G| BGE E2c | dcd ABG| FDD D3:|

Here's a link to standard notation and abc on abcnotation.com from the Jose Oliviera collection.

And here is another setting of it on abcnotation.com from the Henrik Norbeck collection

Here's a You Tube video of the tune, I believe being played on a bouzouki!

This must be a great bouzouki tune, as here's another!

and for a truly Irish experience.... Liam O'Flynn

2. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Love this tune, definitely my favourite 5-part jig!

Love the second video too - the way the family wanders in and out of the kitchen while the two boys are playing, each oblivious to the other.

The third video is not King of the pipers though - it's some reels played by Liam O Flynn, who was known as the King etc.

Will try to post a version later this week.
  3. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    I'm trying the tab version from the Cafe. Seems like a nice tune. Fun to play!

f-d
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i'm with you FD, lovely tune, gonna be tough to remember all those parts though
  5. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    I've completed step 1. I got an ear worm!

f-d
  6. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I am learning the 5 part, The King of the Pipers, from O'Neill's Music of Ireland which is a completely different version. I'll post a version after I play it another 100 times and get it memorized.
  7. audioz
    audioz
    Two more reference videos:

On tenor (I think) banjo with band:

On pipes with guitar:
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

There seem to be different tunes with this title. I took this one from the 8notes site but it says O'Neills on it so it may be the same.
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    King of the Pipers from O'Neill's Music of Ireland.
  10. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I enjoyed both maudlin and dustyamp's versions - both very well played. As you say there appears to be a number of different tunes with this title. I've gone with the Michel Cooney version (bloke on pipes accompanied on guitar posted above) which is on the session here http://thesession.org/tunes/31

Apologies for the "groin shot" camera angle which misses out half the mandolin - I'm on the road at the moment and don't have my usual gear.

11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great stuff from Dustyamps and James. Here is my stab at the other more syncopated tune as played by the two blokes in the kitchen in the second video.
  12. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Great tune! Here's my attempt:

I play Altan's 5-part version.

EDIT: It's my first post here and only my second mandolin video, I still have to relax a little bit more during the recording in order to make less mistakes, but I guess I just have to get used to it, anyway this seemed good enough for this time.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Niavlys, that's a fantastic post. I don't think your steady, driving rhythm wavered once. It'll be a lot of fun to hear more tunes from you.
    Learning a 5-part tune in a week is pretty impressive, and you all sound great.
  14. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great first post Niavyls. You really have the Jig rhythm spot on, and a lovely sound from your Kentucky. We'd love to hear more about you if you fancy heading over to the "Introduce yourself" thread.
    In fact your performance on an f-hole encouraged me to get mine out, and now I'm back home I can have another go with better recording equipment. So take 2, this time with my Eastman 815 and Tom Buchanan Irish Bouzouki in GDAD.

15. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Many thanks for your answers, it's encouraging! I should drop a post in "Introduce yourself" indeed.

I started the mandolin for bluegrass, that's why I own an f-hole, but I'm slowly learning to appreciate the sound of oval hole mandolins, and it seems I'm beginning to love it. Someday I'll have to try one!

Marcelyn:#I think my rhythm did waver once or twice during the recording, but I guess I managed to keep it somehow under control… Thank you very much!
  16. Francis J
    Francis J
    Niavls, that's a great first post, and a very fine authentic rhythm. James, once again a lovely laid back version with beautiful chording. Maudlin, very nice version, and Dusty, that's a version not often played nowadays, so great to hear it being aired so nicely! I have some work to do before my version is fit for consumption publicly, so back to work!
  17. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    I'm a bit reckless and it shows in contrast to you all's control. The videos have been quite the reference! I got it going from memory, ditched the music and may have some confusion. It's fun to play though!

My Cohen, Thomastik's, and a CT-55. Yes, there is a tone-gard. Direct to MacBook

TAKE ONE!

f-d
  18. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Fantastic sounding Cohen fatt-dad, good job. Now redo it on that new black A1.
  19. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    take 2 on the black face A1 (1925) was actually better. Less performance anxiety, eh?

Same pick, strings and tone-gard.

f-d
  20. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff FD
  21. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Thanks for the special request fd, fine playing on a fine instrument. congrats
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I went with the first setting that James Rankine pointed to in his post above. (Thanks, James) There it is called Frank A'Phoill as well as King of the Pipers. I played it solo on my Kentucky KM600 mandolin built in the 1980s. (Sadly this model is no longer available.) I was on vacation camping in the Eastern Sierra near Mono Lake in California the week this song was current so I recorded the tune as soon as I got back...

23. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    Michael, that was great! I love the area around Mono Lake too! In 1984 I spent about 9 months as a field geologist on the other side of the Sierra Mts. and sometimes on weekends we'd go over to the east side and into Nevada to look at ghost towns.

I enjoy your playing and how you stylized Pipers.

f-d