An important coping strategy for learning songs for an arts festi

1. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hello all and a special welcome to a few new members.
    Here I am preparing for an arts festival learning different songs. Some classical, some pop, some jazz. The importance of having perfect pitch and really knowing the fret board becomes even greater when "playing blindly" Yet it's all fun. This weekend it will be practice, practice as the festival is less than two weeks away. Knowing that when playing first finger first fret on d you will have e-flat and on the a-string that is b-flat and on E it's F. Memory becomes pivotal but knowing that these notes are all linked becomes a greater help in remember their place on the fret board.
  2. lflngpicker
    lflngpicker
    Pasha, You are making sense. Sorry Just saw this post so I am just now responding. I trust the festival is going well, assuming it is this weekend. You will remember your theory well, I am sure. All of your hard work and preparation will be rewarded, and it will be fun in the end. Best to you as you play! -- Dan
  3. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi again,
    Festival went well enough, I hope to have a video or photograph or two posted here soon.

About strategies:
    One of the other tricks were to listen when a song is being faded out. We cannot use hand signals with blindness, so the ability to listen is key. We try beforehand and discuss the number of times to play a song. sometimes people liked it so much and we had to continue. That is when listening closely to other band mates is key. Another strategy when playing is, like one plays an intro, to play a kcertain solo, play with a certain sound, play slower or softer, all of course must be at least part of a plan, a practice session, or if done there must be some intuitive response. Another important part, as I would imagine in bands where no sight problems are experienced is to know your music pals well. Know what they would do to end a song.
    Back to festival playing:
    I must tell you all that there was someone from the US listening to us play. that is myself and my guitar playing friend. We were asked if we had a CD for sale. That was such a compliment.

Happy playing all!
  4. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi again all

Reviving this thread.

In the name of coping and playing well enough alongside other band members: I guess that listening to your fellow jammers, band members, music pals teaches one to become aware of the situation, to listen and to think about band members are doing. I said to my husband last night that I think things like choir practice, or playing in a band/orchestra refines one, teaches one on so many levels.