Hey Joe... rock mandolin!

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hey, when your rock buddies invite you over to play, do you decline because you know your regular mandolin just can't cut it with all those electric guitars and drums and stuff? Here's a practice tape I made to learn how to play my new 5-string electric mandolin built from a kit. Plug it in, borrow a bunch of effects, turn up the amp and it cuts thru those electric guitars like butter. Not exactly old time but lots of fun. Okay, maybe I played a little too long, but when is the last time you got to take an extended mandolin break? (It's tuned C, G, D, A, E from bottom to top.)

(video: Joshua Tree National Park)
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ha! Your hidden dark side revealed!
    A distinct David Gilmour style there, Michael, early Pink Floyd feeling. Goes well with the psychedelic video.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I really enjoyed that, I gave up electric instruments years ago but maybe I shouldn't have. Joshua Tree is one of my favorite places, I used to go there all the time when I lived in Riverside. Nice memories.
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's pretty cool, Michael. The electric mandolin sounds great.
  5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    This great version shows once again the mandolin has no limits ... nice, nice,
  6. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Great playing and slide show there Michael. I kept expecting Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda to ride by...

How about doing The Weight?
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    woodenfingers: Since you've asked, here's the New Prairie Sunset Band doing The Weight. (I didn't sing on this one, but that's me on the mandolin.) This band plays every once in a while here in Southern California.

8. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Very Cool! Great song, great break Michael.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a really cool instrument, Michael! Great tones and it really sounds so versatile. Your playing is as classy in this genre as it is in all the other styles you play.
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Wow !! I had no idea you had already done The Weight, one of my favourite rock songs, and I'm in awe of your band's overall take on the song as well as your mandolin breaks and fills. Classic rock. So, do you also have Born to be Wild in the bag too? That would be great for the electric mando and continue the Easy Rider journey.