Bryan O'Lynn aka Hitler's Downfall

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Dana posted a video of this tune in the Ashokan Farewell thread under the title of Hitler's Downfall. I have always known this one as Bryan O'Lynn.

Here's the abc of my version:

X: 1

T: Bryan O”Lynn
    M: 6/8

L: 1/8

R: Jig
    K: Ador

B|:cAd cAG|EDE GAB|cBd BAG|
EA^G ~A2B|cAd cAG|EDE GAB|
cde =fed|cA^G A2B:||
    lgea ged|cAB cde|e2aage|
ed^c d2e|gea fed|cAB cde|
=fed cAG| EA^G A2f:||

Played on my Weber octar with pre-recorded mandolin, concertina and guitar.
  2. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    David, Nice playing and arranging! Always good to hear the octar too.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but since David started it...

TheSession also has it as John Maloney's, as well as Brian O'Lynn. Also something similar called Scully Casey's (really wish these Irish types would make up their minds. Oh, wait, that includes me)
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I like!! David, what chords did you come up with?
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Technically I didn't play any chords since three or more pitches are required to make a chord and I only played roots and fifths. That being said no one likes a smart ass. If I were going to play chords these are the ones that would be close to my no thirds version:

Am Am G G Am Am G Am

Am Am G G C C G Am :ll

G G G G Am Am Am D

G G G G Am Am Em Am :ll

The 1st time through the A part I play a drone on A
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dana, that machine is a killer, played in style!
    What string gauges do you have for that?
  6. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Bertram,
    Thanks. Yes, Jon Mann makes a fine instrument. The string gauges are (low to high):.052, .036, .022, .016. My brother-in-law pointed out that these are electric guitar strings, not the usual bronze-wound. I have to find a source for single strings, as no one seems to make sets for electric octave mandos.
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I struggle with the audio quality of my webcam videos where I include backup. I normally play a pre-recorded track through my monitor speakers while I video myself playing one instrument along with the backup. It never sounds good to me. So here's my little experiment, I have taken the original video and removed the audio and then I added a wave file of decent quality audio, hence a "dubbed" version. Notice that the octar disappears half way through the tune. Comments anyone?

8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David.... I think that was a good video. If I'm understanding you right, you are asking about how synced you got the audio and video, and if it mattered that the video was of you playing the octar the whole time, but in the recording, the octar isn't in the 2nd half? Since you point it out, and I was looking for it, I might have noticed it, but at that point, the arrangement has built to multi-instruments, and I was just carried away listening to how nice it sounded.

I just made a video where I mulitracked several videos of the individuals in our band along to an mp3 made from the audio recording we made to the tune, and Scott mixed down to an mp3 for me to use. In the videos, we were playing along with the audio recording that I was going to use for the music of the video, and I got them all synced up in iMovie, and didn't use the audio part of the video recording for the final version. In that instance, I made sure the the person in the video was actually playing the part in the video, as in the final production of that tune, we come in and drop out, and two of us are multitracked in the video playing multiple instruments. I was pleased with the final version, and you could probably also have done that pretty easily with your movie making program, since you were able to get the one video synced with your audio file.

So, I say, good job!
  9. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great jig, bit rough in spots but great fun to play

10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Great down-to-earth version, Lawrence. That mando has a strong percussive tock in the lower register.
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Ditto. Good percussive playing and a great sound from your mando.
  12. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    A foot tapper that.