Fer

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I was trying to write a tune that started the B part with the last phrase of the A part, I've heard a couple of tunes like that. So this is what I came up with. I made an audio recording on Saturday night so I wouldn't forget it and when I went to save the file I quickly typed 3 letters just to give it a name, those 3 letters were fer. It turns out that there are lots of meanings for fer.

fer = for
    fer = that which carries as in aquifer or conifer
    fer = far
    fer = one that bears

Here's the abcs:

X:1
    T:Fer
    C:David Hansen ©2014
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:Bb
    D2|GABcd2|d2c2B2|A2F2c2|c2A2F2|GABcd2|d2e2f2|c3dcB |A2F2F2|
    GABcd2|d2c2B2|A2F2c2|c2A2F2|E2B2B2|A2G2F2|G3AGF|G4 D2|
    E2B2B2|A2G2F2|GABcd2|dedcBA|E2B2B2|A2G2F2|G3dcB|c2 A2F2|
    E2B2B2|A2G2F2|GABcd2|dcBAGF|E2B2B2|A2G2F2|G3AGF|G4 D2|
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Etymological riddles aside, I think "fer" stands for "fine excellent recording", and that's what it is.
    E2B2B2|A2G2F2 is not the only re-used building block here (search for c2A2F2, for instance), creating instant fun & familiarity just begging for joining in - this is the stuff that makes session mates play along after two times round.
  3. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    This worked out very well! What a wonderfull tune and nice performance! Making your own tunes is double fun ain't that right David?
  4. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Very cool!!
  5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really good. It has an East European feel to it. I think this is one of the best things you've put out there, at least my current favourite.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What about "iron" as a definition of fer? It's the first thing that crossed my mind, and it seems to fit the tune. I love 3/4 time, this is a really special tune.
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a very cool challenge you gave yourself to get this song started, David--and it came out so well. Fun idea for choosing a name too. Looks like your song could also be in honor of a variety of wine grapes....
    "Fer (also known as Fer Servadou, Pinenc, Mansois and several other synonyms) is a red French wine grape variety that is grown primarily in South West France"
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Another etymological theory: "Fer" is short for "Thanks Fer Yer Music"
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I found a few more from Google Translate:

Fer = short in Welsh
    Fer = leaves in Icelandic
    Fer = made in Catalan

Sufficient meaning for just 3 letters. I'm happy with it.
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Lovely tune David, and a really enjoyable recording too.