Question About Big Muddy

1. BridalWreath
    BridalWreath
    I am actually going to be learning to play the mandolin and have been looking for a good beginner instrument. After reading a lot of the threads, I have seen how a lot of people love their Big Muddy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which one is their favorite?

I am looking at HR1, M11, or M4. If someone could explain the difference between these three, I would also feel greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  2. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    I think you should call Mike Dulak directly. His # is on the Big Muddy website. Very approachable, and he'll be able to fit a mandolin your needs. My personal favorite is the Walnut, but so far I've liked every one that I've played...

>>>===> Dave
  3. FatBear
    FatBear
    Yes, definitely call him. Nobody is better qualified to answer your questions.
  4. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    I believe that an HR1 will be Adirondack spruce over Honduran rosewood with fancier appointments, an M4 will be spruce over Bolivian rosewood, and an M11 will be Honduran mahogany back, sides, and top: http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/store/.
  5. big muddy
    big muddy
    Mike thinks deserves a "vacation" right now and is currently near the west coast. He'll be back this coming Friday (Sept. 5th). I know he'd love to chat with you (talking to people is probably one of his favorite parts of the "job"). Give him a call when he returns.

In the meantime, pheffernan provided a link to our store, and there are some descriptions of each mandolin you're interested in which might give you some insight as to the differences.

- Jevin Dulak
  6. Little Missy
    Little Missy
    I just received my custom Big Muddy violin-scale mandolin yesterday. (She's a fusion between the M4 and the M11--rosewood b/s and mahogany top. Mike dubbed her a 4-11, which is basically my height.) I love her! She is beautiful, easy to play, and sounds great. I can only imagine how good she will sound in a few years! I will post pictures soon. The problem is I have to actually put her down to take a photo, so it may be a few days yet. Call and talk with Mike. He is a knowledgable and friendly guy. He'll help you figure out what you'd like. Mine's perfect! There is also a brand new video on his website where Brian Oberlin plays two of the models you're interested in, plus one with a walnut back, so you'd be able to hear the difference.
  7. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Welcome to the "club". We few, we fortunate few...

>>>===> Dave
  8. FatBear
    FatBear
    "There is also a brand new video on his website where Brian Oberlin plays two of the models you're interested in, plus one with a walnut back"
    Those are some nice sounding instruments. I wish I could make mine sound as good as Brian does. I need to look him up and get some pointers.
  9. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    ^^^
    No kidding!
  10. Little Missy
    Little Missy
    Pics of my new mando posted on group page.
  11. FatBear
    FatBear
    She's a beauty!
  12. lflngpicker
    lflngpicker
    Just bought Pheffernan's 1998 Mid-Missouri M-O and it is a sweet playing and beautifully simple instrument.