Atlanta area places to hear / play

1. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    Greetings from Bob Knysz of the Atlanta Mandolin Society
    Here is the start of list of places to go to find out about places to play or hear mandolin playing in the Atlanta area.

BLUEGRASS check out: www.SEBAbluegrass.org
    Weekly email newsletter: The Atlanta Bluegrass Happenings newsletter can now be found anytime at http://atlantabluegrasshappenings.com/
    If you are not currently receiving your own copy of this newsletter - you may request to do so by sending an e-mail to Handsawbro@aol.com

IRISH SESSIONS check out: www.atlantairishmusic.com/localsessions.htm

ATLANTA MANDOLIN ORCHESTRA Check out: www.atlantamandolins.com

Lets keep this discussion open and add if you know of any places to check out.
  2. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    Here is another great place to hear and be heard http://www.everettsmusicbarn.com/about.php
  3. Trey Young
    Trey Young
    I know on Friday nights they have music at the Bluegrass Out-Post out here in West GA, here's the address:
    1427 Old Hwy 100,
    Waco, GA 30182
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You'll occasionally see me playing at the Outpost if you're really unlucky. And don't forget the Old Tucker Fountain on Sunday nights - barbecue, a band, and jamming afterwards. Starts at 6pm. This Saturday night I'll be playing at Hollonville Opry.
  5. Trey Young
    Trey Young
    Hey there OS, how was the Hollonville Opry House? I have a job site just down the road from there in Concord and I've alway wondered about that place. You know as close as I live to Waco, I've never made it to the Outpost, seems like every time I decide I 'm going, something pops up...
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey Trey, Hollonville was great, there was a good crowd as there usually is on a Saturday night. They have an excellent sound system, too, the place is the best of its kind in Georgia. The Outpost is a great little venue, with plenty of jamming outside too on a Friday night. The folks there are very friendly.
  7. GoVols
    GoVols
    I need to make it over to Hollonville. Heck, it isn't that far for me and sounds like great fun. Too much going on around here due to Thanksgiving, so might try sometime in December. Thanks for the tip!
  8. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    To the List,

The Atlanta Bluegrass Happenings newsletter can now be found anytime at http://atlantabluegrasshappenings.com/

If you are not currently receiving your own copy of this newsletter - you may request to do so by sending an e-mail to Handsawbro@aol.com

You can find information about country music in the metro Atlanta area from two different groups on the web: Country Atlanta - at http://www.countryatlanta.com and Atlanta Country Music at www.atlantacountrymusic.com

For information about bluegrass happenings in South Carolina try: http://www.lastroadbluegrass.com/Blu...Happenings.htm
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This Sunday at 6pm I will be playing with the Buncombe String Band at the Old Tucker Fountain, Main Street, Tucker. We play for an hour, then there's a jam until 8pm. Entrance is free, and they serve good barbecue.
  10. Trey Young
    Trey Young
    Are there any Baggetts in the Buncombe String Band?
  11. Trey Young
    Trey Young
    never mind, I found ya'lls myspace page...sounds good.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Trey - no Baggetts as far as I know
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's some video of the Buncombe String Band gig at the Old Fountain in Tucker. Next year they're going to try to get two bands every Sunday night from 6 - 8 with jamming before and after. So if you have a band, or if you just want to hear some music and jam, it could be a good new venue for you. There's no payment but they usually take up a collection for the band that pays your gas money.

14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Just to let everyone know that the Infamous Stringdusters and the Greencards will BOTH be at Eddie's Attic in Decatur on Jan 14th 2010. That means Kym Warner and Jesse Cobb will be playing mandolin, plus there will be two amazing bands. I can't make it because of a commitment that weekend. If you've never heard these bands, do yourself a favor, and if you have you won't need any further encouragement from me.
  15. Wesley
    Wesley
    Thanks for the tip. That will be a good show.
  16. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    Anyone been to the Music Barn in Jasper, GA
  17. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    Re: Jasper Pickin Barn - Been there twice now and have had some excellent jamming. You need to check this out.
    Similar to Everetts Pickin Barn on a smaller scale. But quality pickers both times.
    And on NNW side of town @ 1 hr from Marietta up Hwy 575 which turns into 515.
    Left on Lower Dowda Road, Drive @ 200 yards - see Bird house in yard on right that looks like a Barn,
    turn right on dirt rd travel at the bird house @ 100 yards and park.
    There are no signs no phone.

If you are on 515 and see Racetrack Gas Station on left you went too far north on 515.
    Lower Dowda Rd is the first road south of the Racetrack.
  18. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    Jasper, GA Pickin Barn was Packed out last night! Up to 5 GOOD jams all going on at the same time. This was a fund raising benefit for David Anderson's father who passed to help cover expenses. If you were there you know how good it was. If you missed it there is jamming every Saturday night. Hope to see you and pick a few.
  19. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    The Atlanta Mandolin Orchestra will be performing tonight Sept 25 in Rome GA at Shorter University's Brookes Chapel. They will be share the stage with Celigh Celtic Ensemble. Only $5.00 concert starts at 7:30 if your in the area stop by for a listen!
    For more information visit: http://www.atlantamandolins.com/Calendar.html
  20. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    Greater Atlanta Bluegrass Band will be performing Saturday October 2 at The Family Tree Nursery in Snellville, GA 11am-2pm. 1983 Main Street E. 770.972.2470. What a better way to pick out a few new fall plants than with a little bluegrass from some of Atlanta's Best Pickers, Buck, Geoff, Bob and Andy.
  21. Trey Young
    Trey Young
    The Sunny Side Cafe in Carrollton (about an hour west of the ATL) has just expanded and now includes a 150 person seating capacity music room called the Moonshadow Tavern. I've not yet played or seen the new facility, but Gary Duke the owner of the place is as nice of a guy that you'll ever meet and he's been a semi pro musician for quite a while now, so he takes care of you. Also, there is the Lowell Opry house, which is about 20 minutes south of Carrollton. My band played there about a month ago and had a blast! We played to a sold out crowd of about 120 folks who were very attentive and were a great crowd. All of the staff there, including the owner George Britt, were very nice and extremely helpful and provided great sound on stage and to the crowd!
  22. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    Trey thanks for the info.
  23. Wesley
    Wesley
    I understand that Saturday night March 5th - there will be a performance of the Bluegrass Mass at First Methodist of Marrietta. It's a classical piece for a combined bluegrass band, choir and orchestra. Sounds pretty interesting. They will be singing in english and latin.
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I'm going to be playing with my trio, Sweetwater Creek at the Crimson Moon in Dahlonega Sat March 16 - tomorrow, in case any of you North Georgia folks want to help me out building up the audience. Tickets are $12 on the door, we star playing around 8:30pm.
  25. Wesley
    Wesley
    Sorry I missed it. Will you be going to the "Bear on the Square" festival there?
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    No, didn't make it this year. We're going to be playing at the Red Light in Atlanta on Thursday May 30th, though.
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    My band Sweetwater Creek is going to be playing at 8pm at Steve's Live Music in Sandy Springs tomorrow night, Tuesday 18th June. Lots of jamming too, open mic for bluegrass bands. Happens every tuesday.
  28. Bob Knysz
    Bob Knysz
    8th oJ January will be at Steve's Live Music in Sandy Springs, GA on Tuesday October 8, 2013. Jam starts at 6:30, Fun on stage starts 8:00. www.8thofjanuary.com
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    My band, Sweetwater Creek, is playing and jamming down at Grazing Here in Peachtree City, Ga, tonight
  30. Tom Haywood
    Tom Haywood
    What a good set and jam it was! Excellent bluegrass.
  31. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    David, see if you can get them to move Peachtree City just a bit closer to Canton! I'd love to see you guys live, but that's a bit of an adventure from here.
  32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much for coming along, Tom, we all had a lot of fun. Mike I'll let you know next time we're near your area. Our next show will be the Ponce De Leon beer festival, on November 16th, although tickets for that are $35. On the up side, beer is included in the price.
  33. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Well, there's a lot to be said for that! Not sure if I could get my 35 worth in beer,tho. I always just get full before I get too happy!
  34. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's true, you can buy a lot of 6 packs for $35
  35. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sweetwater Creek has a busy weekend coming up, with one show in Newnan, and another at The High museum for their Going West exhibit. That runs from 1 to 5pm on Sunday 9th, we're on at 3pm.

The one in Newnan is the Coweta CASA Fundraiser at Newnan First United Methodist Church 33 Greenville St., Newnan, GA 30263. Bullsboro will be on first - what a great band they are!
    6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m. Saturday February 8
    Tickets $10 include dessert, coffee, and silent auction with all proceeds going to Coweta Co. CASA.
  36. Sheryl McDonald
    Sheryl McDonald
    Norman Blake will be performing at the Calhoun, GA Harris Arts Center on Friday, April 24, 2015 at 7 pm as part of the Calhoun String Band Festival. The Arts Center contact is: 706.629.2599 / http://www.harrisartscenter.com/