Playing through the impairment

1. lflngpicker
    lflngpicker
    I have a problem with my hands due to Parkinson's. I am grateful that I have been a musician all my life, which helps me to keep on playing. The hardest part on a mandolin is that P.D. makes your hands want to freeze-- the action of strumming stimulates the brain to stop your hand. Tremolo is the worst! It is the one thing that I could do on a guitar and brought to the mandolin a couple of years ago. Now, tremolo presents the greatest challenge to me as a mandolin player. I am thankful that I have the mandolin to motivate me to keep busy and maintain my hand-use abilities. It is just disappointing that I can't do as well as I would have as a serious musician all my life. Finger picking on the guitar was my forte and is now becoming more and more difficult. I still perform nearly every week at church or at a nursing home. I don't want to ever stop. Can you relate?
  2. redrigel
    redrigel
    My problem was the result of a post-surgical blood clot, three years ago. With really good therapy and a persistent wife I recovered most gross activity pretty well. I do have some remaining issues that interfere with my music. The feeling in my left hand is impaired, and actions of my left and right hands aren't always in sync. Consequently my tone has gone to crap.
    Wanting to play has been as much of a struggle as the physical limitations. But that's another message.
  3. lflngpicker
    lflngpicker
    redrigel, I really understand. Our causes are different but we both suffer from knowing what to do musically, and being limited by our feeling abilities and control of our extremities. I feel for you, but it is helpful to hear another's story and realize we can relate to others who battle disabling conditions while keep on playin'! Thanks, Dan