Legacy of Meredydd Evans

1. greenwdse
    greenwdse
    I thought I'd share this with you.

Last month's BBC 2 Folk Awards from Millennium Centre highlighted the achievements and legacy of Welsh language campaigner and folk performer Meredydd Evans who passed away this February.

Evans spent decades of his life collecting and recording Welsh songs nearly obliterated by time. At the ceremony his daughter Eluned accepted an award on behalf of her late father and said something remarkable:

"I believed that knowledge should be shared," she said. "It’s in this spirit of sharing knowledge that it would be great to see the development of an online database of Welsh Folk Songs. Such a project could bring together institutions like the National Library of Wales and St Fagans National History Museum to digitise and make available online the collections of people like…Ifor Ceri, John Lloyd Williams. With sufficient political will and a good dollop of additional funding the creation of an online database like this by July 2017 is perfectly achievable. Above all, such a accessible cultural resource would make the rich and wonderful musical heritage of Welsh traditional music available to not just the people of Wales but to the whole world."