Introduce yourself...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. dendrite
    dendrite
    @swampstomper: now, that's what you'd probably call a "One-Stroke Victory" - you'll have more fun singing with me, definitely! ;-)

But I keep trying - as always
  2. ebeja
    ebeja
    Who are you and where do you live?
    I´m Eberhard and live in Bavaria, resp. Center Franconia
    How long have you played mandolin?
    I started as bloody newby 1985, played more or less reasonable in an OT-band until 1990.
    Then I paused more or less nearly 20 years due to lack of leasure time (Job had first prio) but made a re-start in 2008 (retired from Job).

How many and what kind of mandolins do you own?
    1. My old 1985 bought Alabama ALM50S (Cheap Korea made F5 model) - sentimental wall hanger
    2. Ratliff RA5 working horse
    3. Weber Vintage A Oval hole
    4. Ellis A-5

What kind of music do you play on the mandolin?
    Most OT and some Celtic/Irish
    Which players are your main inspiration?
    Difficult to say but I was infected by the mando sound when I heared Bill Monroe first time 1962. I think Monroe and Osborne Bros. However I like any mandolin music.
    Do you play in a band?
    Real band - no; however more or less weekly we (a Banjo, a Guitar, a Vocal/Tin whistle and me) share for session music
    Do you have any sound or video files to share to show your style of playing?
    Not yet
  3. doboing
    doboing
    My name is Donato live in Italy, I am a violinist and violist, violin teacher at a school for boys aged 11 to 14 years.

I play the mandolin for about 2 months. Being a violinist with the left hand I have no problem but I am quarreling all day with a pick

I have a mandolin, 1960 Eko inherited from my father and I bought two months, a Loar LM300VS. I have also three handmade mandolins that have never been played.

I play everything that happens to me.

We say that the inspiration comes from my mandolin.

Do you play in a band?
    No, not even with the mandolin!

No, not even with the mandolin!
  4. billkilpatrick
    donato ... forza!
  5. doboing
    doboing
    Ok!
  6. WillFly
    WillFly
    Hi - my name is Will Fly, and I've been worming my way into the Mandolin Café for a few days now - joined the Song-A-Week and Tenor Guitar groups - and now I'm slipping into Europe...

I live in Sussex in the UK.

I've played tenor banjo and tenor guitar for around 40 years and picked up mandolin several years ago - exactly when is lost in time!

All my stringed instruments, with the exception of a Martin guitar, are made for me by my friend and fellow band member Ian Chisholm.

What kind of music do you play on the mandolin/tenor guitar?
    Anything that takes my fancy - folk tunes, old-time, jazz, blues, popular songs.

Too numerous to mention!

Do you play in a band?
    I play in a couple of duos, and also in a ceilidh band.

Here's my YouTube channel: HenfieldWill

And you can really read all about me at: my website.

Cheers!

Will
  7. Tavy
    Tavy
    Just spotted this social group, so I thought I'd better join

I'm John Maddock from Tavistock in the South West of the UK.

Not long enough! About 5 years I guess... and my first instrument too.

Currently.... One 1930's waldzither, plus a mandola and two mandolins that I've built myself.

Oh and there's usually a selection of vintage instruments undergoing restoration - currently just a "Patent Mandolin Co" mandolinetto.

Mostly folky stuff, but some I occasionally stray to the dark side (bluegrass that is!)

Gosh... so many good players.... Tim O'Brien for sure, I thought Sam Bush was excellent on the last Transatlantic Sessions series too.

Do you play in a band?

Mostly I play backup to my fathers folky stuff.

Here we go:

8. Beanzy
    Beanzy

I'm Eoin Donnellon, I live in North Cornwall and work in London every 2nd week.

Bought one mid 2009 and made a raggedy start then began practicing properly in January 2011

Just one; a Kentucky KM160. That's it until I feel I can do justice to a better instrument. I'm saving up to buy a special one next year.

Bluegrass, Old Time, Classical, Italian and Irish.

Normally the one to my right.

Do you play in a band?
    No but I jam bluegrass and americana tunes with some great people in the local pub.
    I play with the Mandoln Orchestra Of Devon . These are the pieces we're doing at the moment http://www.wrenmusic.co.uk/index.php...sic&Itemid=130
    I also play cello with amateur orchestras such as the Seriously AwEful Sinfonia and the BBC Cornwall Family Orchestra.
    I've recently begun using the Tenor guitar in jams and some of the livelier orchestra pieces.

No but I will. After all I started my working life as a recording engineer then moved to TV Station engineering, so there's no excuse except not liking to show my inadequacies in public.
  9. Jimdalf
    Jimdalf
    Who are you and where do you live? My name is James, I'm an illustrator and live in West Sussex, just south of London. I also have a part time job at the Hobgoblin Music shop in Crawley so if you want to speak to a mandolin-fancier in the company, I can be found there Thursday-Saturdays.

How long have you played mandolin? I've been playing since 2003, I think.

How many and what kind of mandolins do you own? I have a rather scruffy Gibson A5G and recently acquired a Webber Gallatin mandocello.

What kind of music do you play on the mandolin? This and that, Jethro, Bach, some ragtime and some memorised celtic tunes that I'd trade for almost anything else. None of these to a high proficiency.

Which players are your main inspiration? Most well known players amaze me in one way or another. The best ones tend to write music I have no chance of playing, frustratingly.

Do you play in a band? Nope, just for my own amusement

Do you have any sound or video files to share to show your style of playing? Nothing that wouldn't embarrass me yet!
  10. mukeshmandolin
    mukeshmandolin
    Hi ! I am Mukesh gandhi from Mumbai ( India), i play mandolin , can i join your group?

thanks
    mukesh
  11. swampstomper
    swampstomper
    Hi Mukesh, last I looked Mumbai was not in Europe, but why not?? I am curious about your music and your mandolin. I visit India regularly and would enjoy a jam session. So fire away!
  12. Hazelnut
    Hazelnut
    Hi, everyone.

I'm Hazel (user name might've just given that away!), I've lived in the south west of England for a fair few years although I'm Scottish (an Ayrshire lass).

I had a gift of an A type Stagg electo-acoustic mandolin just over a year ago but didn't really start playing until the end of the year. For my birthday, my husband bought me a lovely Vintage (John Hornby Skewes) F style acoustic which is SO much nicer than the Stagg, so I've been using that exclusively ever since - unless I want to record or use effects and then I use the electro-acoustic through my multi effects processor. (With varying success, I'm not overly keen on amping electro-acoustics, even guitars, in an enclosed space.)

Bearing that in mind, I come (as so many mandolin players do) from a guitar (and bass) background and shall be increasing my mandolin collection later in the week to reflect my electric instrument beginnings to the tune of one solid-bodied electric mandolin. (More on that when I get it.)

Considering that most people online associate the mandolin with bluegrass, this is one genre of music I dislike intensely! On the mandolin, my musical preference is for medieval/classical and Celtic, British/European folk music. Although, I'll play just about anything I like the sound of just to hear how it translates on this versatile (and quite addicting) little instrument. For example, music from video games - especially Sonic the Hedghog (that had some great music!) and recently, the song "Still Alive" from the game Portal.

My performances are strictly for my own enjoyment although, when I get better, I wouldn't rule out playing with a band.

Here are pics of my instruments - stock photos as my camera isn't that great.

13. ferretmummy
    ferretmummy
    Hi everyone, I'm Paula and live in the South East of England.

I just got my mandolin for Christmas, a Stagg M50E electro acoustic like Hazelnuts, so I've been playing a few days only! This is my first mandolin having been playing ukuleles for the last few years, and an attempt to learn guitar in my youth. After years of singing I spotted the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain and wondered how difficult it would be to learn the uke.

Musicwise I'll be playing church worship songs mostly but I'll probably have a go at the mando bits of popular music when I've learned some fingering, at the moment I'm used to chords only. Like Hazel I don't particularly like bluegrass but Celtic stuff.. oh yes I'll be having a go at that.

I have pet ferrets hence the username.
  14. MacAoidh
    MacAoidh
    Highlands of Scotland

2-3 years

Stagg M50e and I recently got a Fender Mandostrat which is a remarkable improvement for using in a live sound system.

Scottish traditional

The Corries and Gaberlunzie

Do you play in a band?
    Mainly in a local church band and at informal get-togethers
    I also play Euphonium in the school brass band

In the process of making one...
  15. Elfhir
    Elfhir

Hi ! I'm Jeremy, but used Elfhir on the internet.
    I live on the internet half my day, and sometimes in Paris (or near Paris).

I played it seriously for 3 years.

I only got one mandolin, a Vietnamese A type I got in 2008 in Sai Gon (Ho Chi Minh City, 22 Lê Lai Street).
    I hope to get enough money to buy a new one, selmer type, jazz, F5 model, E mandolin, whatever for varying the pleasures !

I play classical, traditionnal, some bluegrass, jazz, score film music, choros :
    Lonesome fiddle blues, Minor Swing, Santa Morena, Vivaldi 1s Concerto, Czardas, Joe Hisaishi's ...

Mike Marshall, Jacob Do Bandolim, Tim Connell, David Grisman, Evan Marshall ...

Do you play in a band?

No =/ I would like to, when I will have more time.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Welcome to all the new members! This is a pretty quiet group because most topics of musical interests are treated elsewhere. And Europe is a big place after all. But occasionally, something of European interest gets posted here.

@ferretmummy, whereabouts in the south-east are you? There are quite a lot of sessions and folk clubs going on in Kent, which you may find interesting for listening and, eventually, joining in.
  17. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I'm Hendrik and I live in Holland, in a village nearby Groningen

I started playing the mandolin in 2008, that makes it 6 years now

I own about 7 mandolins but my main mandolin is a Clark A5. I still love playing on my The Loar LM220 which is an amazingly good sounding mandolin for the money.

I love to play bluegrass but also jigs and reels

There are a lot, but Adam Steffey, John Reischman, Sierra Hull, Alan Bibey and Sam Bush are my favorites

Do you play in a band?
    I play in the band Close to home www.closetohome.eu

Here's a version of Nine Pound Hammer I recorded las year
    https://soundcloud.com/luurtieful/nine-pound-hammer but I posted regularly in Song-A-Week socialclub in 2013
  18. swampstomper
    swampstomper
    Hi Hendrik, you mean you live in the Netherlands -- the Hollanders live over in the west :-). We've jammed at the Castle Picking Party in your lovely capital city Groningen (a.k.a. bicycling capital of the world). You've got quite some talent in the band!
  19. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I googled some Photo's of you D G, and now I know we've seen eachother so many times. I always thought you were from Germany. I hope to see you in Valthermond in march and find some time to talk
  20. Catchmandoo
    Catchmandoo
    Hello,

I'm Clare and I've been living in Villefranche-Sur-Mer since last Saturday having made the move from London with my boyfriend in our Renault Espace. We will be trying to make a life here in the South of France. In fact I'm planning on the mandolin will feature much more in my life from now on.

I've been playing the mandolin for about 3 years having previously studied violin, viola (and had a classical training completing an MA in Limerick in Classical String performace) and then when I got a full time job I got into plucking via the ukulele which has a great social scene in the UK, until playing in a folk band, where the mandolin worked much better for playing tunes and being heard... The band was called The Stamp Collective and we did some great gigs in London and at a couple of festivals.

I currently play on a Hathway, which sounds great, but I've just ordered a custom Weber Fern A style which is on its way here to France!

I play various folk tunes, mainly Celtic and Eastern european and Classical. I'm working on getting some jazz chords and tunes together, though improvisation is a new thing for me and also having a look a Choro too.

I was blown away by Chris Thile at the gig he did in London in December. Still discovering lots of players, so I don't have a selection of favourites as I'm enjoying finding them out.

I don't play in a band at the moment but would love to find musicians to play with here in Provence.

Videos etc to come...

Good to meet you!

Clare
  21. Cue Zephyr
    Cue Zephyr
    Howdy,

I've never looked at social groups before, so here I am.

I'm Ezyo, currently 22, live in Eindhoven (The Netherlands).

I bought my first (and currently only) mandolin back in 2010 but it's only this year (and a bit of last year's last month) that I really buckled down to learn the mandolin - to really learn the mandolin, not treat it like a 'guitar but slightly different instrument' as I've sort of grown to dislike in most cases.

I play an A-model Kentucky KM-550 which has been amazing to me. It's been set-up by a fellow not far away from where I live. It already sounded great but he made it better (mostly playability wise). He also equipped it with a K&K Mandolin Twin pick-up for me, so I can always take it to a gig if I wanted to.

What type of pick do you play with?
    A Wegen TF120. It's a triangle with relatively blunt tips, 1.2mm thick, with bevels and made of a very durable material. It used to be my go-to guitar pick but since I needed a little more of a point on my pick (that the Wegen M150 didn't have), I decided to use this. I'd like a slightly thicker pick, though.

I love bluegrass music. I got in touch with it through the Acoustic Guitar Forum where I regularly found topics about this style of music I had never heard of before. I asked for some names and was instantly hooked.

It took me a while (until 2 months ago) to really start learning. Before I wasn't sure where to start. Bluegrass music seemed to have a very steep learning curve (which I still think it has). I finally found my way in through fiddle tunes (and other tunes) which I'm currently having a blast with.

Why did you choose the mandolin?
    I really wanted to pick up a new instrument. I'm primarily a guitarist but wanted something more. I decided upon the mandolin because I loved what it sounded like in the music I listened to (country/bluegrass) and that I it would be easily applicable to other styles and doesn't scream country or anything like that quite as much as a banjo would (but I'm buying one of those too!).

It didn't take long when I started studying hard to learn to play to find my new hero - Bill Monroe. Whatever happens, he will always be my #1. Thanks to Bill we get to enjoy bluegrass music!

I really like Sierra Hull. She's already a phenomenal player at such a young age. I also really like her music, it reminds me a lot of Alison Krauss & Union Station - sorta like country but with bluegrass instrumentation.

I like Sam Bush for his sense of rhythm and the rhythmic concepts he uses in his playing (both rhythm and solo).

I also like Chris Thile for his masterful technique, his tone (such pretty tone!) and for his experimental music with The Punch Brothers (I've been enjoying their latest album lately). I also like his fusion of traditional music in the form of Nickel Creek. Seems like I've tuned in at the right moment as I recently found out that they're getting the band back together.

Do you play in a band?
    Noet yet, but I'm trying to get an acoustic band together to play a country repertoire, with some re-arranged popular music and also some adapted bluegrass. It's pretty difficult to find the right people around here. Every band plays rock, blues, metal, punk, rock 'n roll and stuff like that.

Yes. Sort of. Kind of an example of what I would like to play with the band I'm getting together.
    Wake Me Up (Avici) [excerpt]
  22. dreadhead
    dreadhead
    I'm an American that has been living in Saint-Cyr-l'École, France since 2002.

I got my first mandolin around 1990, but only taught myself the basic chords and learned a few melodies/scales back then. I was more serious about my drumming, guitar playing and then dobro. I ended up selling that mandolin and didn't get another until 2004 & that's when I really started taking the mandolin more seriously.

I own two. A the Loar 600VS & a Collings MT2

I play anything from acoustic rock, blues, bluegrass, folk, choro, dawg, celtic to classical.

David Grisman, Mike Marshall & Bill Monroe

Do you play in a band?

Currently I'm playing with a guitarist, but I'm looking to find others into playing Americana, bluegrass, alt/country, celtic, dawg music.

I do enjoy recording since it's so hard to find other like-minded musicians in France... actually the fact that I work nights is the bigger problem... not a lot of people available to play on weekday afternoons. The guy I play with takes days off of work in order to play with me a few times a month.

here's my soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/ephjos
  23. mandoritz
    mandoritz
    Introduction.

I am English and come from East Yorkshire.

I have played Mandolin about four weeks. ( I have been playing violin for about 4 years. )

I have a Paul Hathway mandolin

I mainly enjoy celtic traditional,however would like to aspire to playing Bach

Inspiration : Marissa Carroll and any one that plays well.

Video file.

http://youtu.be/5pM7WpwwzNU

http://youtu.be/mjsczNw5isE
  24. crisscross
    crisscross
    Hi,
    my name is Christian and I live in the Saarland, wich is in the south-west of Germany.
    I play a varitey of stringed instruments (and a tiny bit of flute once in a whlie).
    Mandolinwise, I own a Lebeda Premium F5 and recently I bought a The Loar A-Mando (great mando for the price).
    I play in an acoustic trio, but mostly I do homerecording these days. I play bluegrass, swing, classical and a little bit of celtic, but have no mandolin heroes as such. If I work on a new tune I sit down and think: "hm, let's see, what could I do with this chord progression."
    Well, the mandolin never lets me down inspiration-wise.
    Here's my version of the bluegrass classic "John Hardy". I wanted it to sound a little more European, so I used an nylon string guitar, a flute and a tenor Banjo. Plus Clawhammer banjo and clawhammer ukulele.
    https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/john-hardy
    Forgot to mention, I also own a 4 string electric by kentucky.
  25. swampstomper
    swampstomper
    Nice version although I don't hear the "desperate little man" anywhere :-)

Curious as to what it means to "sound European" -- since that is what this group is about. Is it München Biergarten oom-pah? Is it Edith Piaf or Django Reinhardt? Is it English football hooligan chants? Is it Flamenco? Is it Dvorak and Czech folk songs?
  26. crisscross
    crisscross
    The München Beergarten comes cosse. I had a bavarian housemusic circle in mind. With the Irish pen-pal and his tenor banjo joining the group.
  27. Leo37
    Leo37
    Hello,

I am Leopold, called Leo, 61 years old and I live in Dorsten, Germany.
    My father was a mandolin-player in an orchestra and he teached me some hours when I was 9 years. At that time the madolin don't thrills me and so I switched to the guitar and found pleasure in all kinds of music from classic to jazz, from folk to rock.

When my father passed away he left me some Vogtland-Style mandolins and his high-class italian instrument. I put them all carefully in a closet and there they were for a long time. I pulled them out one week ago and since that time I have a lot of fun with the instruments.
    What kind of music? I like italian music, german and scandinavian folk music, classic - the combination of classic guitar and mandolin or accordion (I have an old Scandalli accordion) and mandolin.

Here is my first try on the mandolin, I found the song and the scores on mandolincafe and recorded it with a Vogtland-Style mandolin on my iPhone and GarageBand.

https://soundcloud.com/leo-dilemma/astridis-valsen

Greetings, Leo
  28. Radish
    Radish

My name is Jacco Versteeg, 45, Dutch guy living in Crewe, Cheshire, UK.

Just got started (little over a month ago). First instrument I've seriously picked up since I left the recorder behind, about 30 years ago.

Just the one I picked up off Amazon. A-style mandolin from the Stretton Payne company. I see people throwing around all sorts of terms on mandolin types and so far it's all gibberish to me. I'll learn to play a bit first and then start studying up on the instrument itself.
    I had vague hopes of getting a mandolin through my in-laws-to-be, but it didn't happen unfortunately.

Well, nothing in particular as yet. My aim however was to get an instrument that would be interesting to play whilst singing. Most songs I know tend to be folky of some sort or another, so my music playing will most likely follow in that direction. Possibly going towards something a bit more classical as well, as my eldest niece (now 12) is very actively learning to play the violin, so I'm thinking how it might be fun to be able to play together. Then again, supposedly she is extremely talentend (haven't really heard her play yet) so I might end up being too embarrassed to play the mandolin next to her violin. :D

None yet. And I think it will be a while before I start listening out for specific mandolin players. In general and with regards to folk music though, the Dubliners are a big inspiration for me.

Do you play in a band?

Again, only just started. Had a hard enough time finding a teacher in the area (starting lessons some time in November) but he already mentioned he can put me in touch with other players, so we'll see what comes of all that.
  29. Urbo39
    Urbo39
    Bonjour à tous !

My first name is Bruno.
    In first I ask you to be lenient with my English whom I practise moderately.

I am French, and I live in the mountains of the department of the Jura which I like! I am 55 years old, my wife has the same age and we have 2 girls and 3 little girls!

I have played of the mandoline for 3 years. I began with “The Loar 370 VSM”. I am fond of the Irish airs particularly. I played of the guitar for a long time and in particular of rhythmic in Irish! I also tease Bobro and occasionally the bodhran!

I do not play any more groups some but I start to attend “slow folk session” of rish.

Greetings with all, and the pleasure of reading you.

Bruno.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12