Robert Burns Tunes

1. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Well just ahead of Burns Night I thought I would start a thread devoted to the tunes associated with Robert Burns' poems and lyrics.
    Here is Ye Banks and Braes on Mandolin and Guitar

2. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    Gilderoy, the tune to Farewell to Eliza, is another good one. I played it at a Burn's Night yesterday.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A nice arrangement, James. By the way, I like the strategically-placed Saltire in the background!
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Nice playing and a really good arrangement, James.

You may already have seen that I posted a set of three Burns waltzes in the SAW group last week, starting with Ye Banks And Braes and continuing into Ca' The Yowes and A Man's A Man For A' That. From a dance arrangement by Ceilidh Caleerie, which takes a somewhat different approach to the tune:

Martin
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Regina and I did Ca' the Yowes a couple of years ago. Our Scots is probably not what Robbie would have approved of, though...
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Martin, I love your versions of these great tunes. Yours is altogether a more refined and lilting version of banks and braes than mine. I'm going to revisit the way I play it.
    Bertram this is beautiful - haunting - a tune passed down through the centuries, reminiscent of an Elizabethan tune the way you play it. I'm guessing the melody might have been around for some time in Burn's day before it got linked up to his lyrics. I can't pass comment on the old Scots accent, despite being Scottish myself I sound totally English when I open my mouth (it's where your heart is that counts).
    John - I'm flying the flag for Scotland in England. Glad you noticed it. It took military style planning to get that into the shot.
  7. PaulBills
    PaulBills
    Sweet Afton is a beautiful tune, tricky chords on the mandolin though, but very simple melody line
  8. PaulBills
    PaulBills
    I heard 'Ae Fond Kiss' sung during the commonwealth games closing ceremony, and thought it sounded beautiful - this youtube isn't that one, but a different recording of her singing it

9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice arrangements, James, Bertram and Martin !
    I only recently got interested in tunes based on poems by Robert Burns.
    The first I tried was "Flow gently Sweet Afton" ...