comparing mandolins

1. briant50
    briant50
    Hi folks
    i read your comments on the new Jam Master, from what i read here and elsewere it seems like a really great instrument
    i'm looking for some advice from you folks. I have not tried a Jam Master as i live in a fairly remote area of Canada (say no more eh?)
    currently i have a Gibson A model circa 1918 ...its great...sounds great and plays well but almost too mellow. I play in a band and we do celtic and bluegrass and am looking for a crisper sound
    wondering if any of you folks has done a comparison between the jam master and any other vintage Gibson. Should i continue to consider a Jam Master
    Much thanks
  2. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Briant50, I have not played any vintage Gibson’s so I have no frame of reference but I will say the Jam Master is a very good mandolin. Exceptionally clear, bell like note quality, not high endy shrill but mellow and clear... really balanced and even. The mandolin has an incredible chop and can compete with a banjo. Larger gage strings add more power while lighter strings really enhance the musical quality. If you have specific questions post here in this thread and I will do my best to answer them.
    Cheers, Brian.
  3. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    I played a pre 1920's Gibson A model a month ago. The Jam Master is far superior to that particular instrument. Brian really said it well. These instruments are canons of sounds but are clear as a bell with great sustain and a great chop. I closed myself off in our small wonderfully acoustic kitchen this morning and played for about an hour. The clarity and richness of tone of my Jam Master just makes it a joy to play.

I have had the chance to play two of them and both were of similar quality. Hope this helps. Keep in mind we all just bought our Jam Masters and are still in the completely enamored stage.

Greg
  4. briant50
    briant50
    thanks for your information in comparing to older Gibson mandolins. From the sounds of it i really need to try one out. from your comments this seems to be the mandolin i am looking for
    Brian
  5. 300win
    300win
    The only "vintage Gibson" I've played my Jm against was a '57 F-5. It was no contest as the Jm is a far superior sounding mandolin, but Gibson in 1957 was not building a very good F-5. But I have in the past played many Gibson F-5's of differant year makes, I will not hesitate to say that my JM is as good if not better than the best of those. With the Jm you get incredible quality of what a great mandolin should sound like without a very high cost.