My New Year's resolution

1. mandoweather
    mandoweather
    Generally I don't make them, but this year I'm making a New Year's resolution...to attend a jam. I've found 3 jams within a 30 mile radius of me. I've had my mando for a year now and I know that you can't beat that interaction that you find at a jam. I've kept putting it off until "I learn one more song..." It will be a big step for me but I figured that if I commit to it in writing on the forum it will be more difficult to back out. By the way, I really appreciate all the great info in this group. Wishing all a very Happy New Year!

-Bill
  2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bill, please check out all 3 jams. I just love my group. Everyone is so supportive. I can imagine, though, another group might feel I'm too far beneath their level of play.

I look forward to your reporting back as to how things go.
  3. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Bill, good for you. Last year I said that I was going to work on double stops and playing rhythm (chords). I was 1/2 right. My DS are better. Rhythm is not so much. My melody picking is fine, however.

This year my motivation is stronger due to planned end of driving the country in a semi. Once I get off the road then I will be ready to play in some jam settings. Goals are good!

Larry
  4. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    I am very glad to have seen this thread.

It just occurred to me that 2017 has been a very odd year - I have felt very inspired all year, and (I think) I have made some substantial musical progress in the past 12 months - but I have nothing tangible to show for it . . . I have not written any new songs, made no new usable recordings, haven't found any person or group to play with, haven't decided on a musical path to pursue, have no serious projects lined up, etc.

As I glance up at the clock on the wall, it reads 11:57 am - I now have 36 hours and 3 minutes to plot out a 'resolution' for 2018.
  5. NickG
    NickG
    What a coincidence! I was just enjoying the first--bright, but bitterly cold!-- morning of the year and thinking 2018 has to include finally getting to one or more of my local jams. Good luck with it, and happy New Year!
  6. McHull
    McHull
    Is there a Jam protocol regarding Noobs, as far as experience level??
    I'm a pretty slow melody picker and haven't really tackled chords yet.

thanks
    Matt
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hiya Matt! That would be the perfect thing to ask a jam group when you find one. There's no answer we can give, as these jams are always informal gatherings of people, rather than organized clubs with common rules and protocols.

The best I can say is that usually there is no bar and anyone is welcome to sit in regardless of experience. The thing to do is "play it by ear" so to speak, if you have questions ask them, and just try to be comfortable in your own skin.

Another thought is that is very important to get out and play with others. As a kid I learned guitar, then I helped my brother to learn, and we played together. I found guys at school who'd learned, and we'd play together. Nowadays, I find jams or informal house party groups and go out and play with them, and look for people in my daily life who play an instrument (few and far between but they're out there; you have to start asking everybody). So go ahead and visit jams if they're available, and don't worry about your lack of skills, you'll get that over time. Just visit, get to know folk, and try to learn what you can from it.