How long before your Ellis felt "broken in"?

1. Dan Margolis
    Dan Margolis
    Many factors are at play, obviously, but how long did you own yours before you felt/heard that it was "opening up"? Or "settling in", if you prefer?
  2. Dan Margolis
    Dan Margolis
    Great question Dan--thanks for asking. I've owned my A-5 for a week now (one week and 15 minutes), and it definitely sounds fuller than when I first tightened the strings. I've played it a lot this week. One night at a friend's house for our weekly jam, and then at a picking party in the middle of the state for a few days. Yes, a and-new expensive varnish mandolin, picking in 38 degree nighttime weather. I'm sure that it will need some time to develop its voice, but it already is clear, loud, and with impressive "chop".
  3. R. Kane
    R. Kane
    They get better with playing. A year, ten years, they keep getting better.
  4. mritter
    mritter
    They're pretty darn good right off the bench. I have a relatively new A model and haven't noticed any change in 8 months or so. I have an '07 F that gets the bulk of playing time and it's a dream. I'm very happy with where they're both at.
  5. adlerburg
    adlerburg
    In speaking with Tom about this, he prides his stuff in sounding really open and great right out of the box. Have y'all found this to be true? Obviously mritter does!
    BTW... My A5 Special will be in my hands soon... I'm trying not to think about it, as the anticipation is relentless.. drooling I am!
    -Mick
  6. Jamie MacLaggan
    Jamie MacLaggan
    Mine is number 25 (6-80) It sounded good out of the shop, but has steadily gotten better, both tone and chop. It is now a mature little fella and has been played, literally, for years. It's all kinda like what you'd expect in a great blues singer, say Lou Anne Barton: whisky, smoke, silk, big, round tone with a deep, loud chop. Everything is smooth and works together for a comfortable, even tone. No physical issues-ever; I have only replaced frets as needed.
  7. Jamie MacLaggan
    Jamie MacLaggan
    Typo in previous post: #25 was finished in 1981.
  8. Martin Stevens
    Martin Stevens
    Mine sounded great right off the bat (it was at Gruhns for awhile and I'm sure it got played a lot). After I bought it Tom had me send it to him to do a nice polish job on the finish and I got it back a couple weeks later a little more closed up but beautiful. Since then I've played it pretty much non stop and it's a lot better than when I first played it in nashville. Tom really makes some perfect mandolins.
  9. Billgrass
    Billgrass
    #224 arrived this morning. I am blown away by Tom's skill. Tone, playability, workmanship. WOW!

As with Martin's it may have gotten played a Gruhn's, but I still hear opportunity for development.
  10. Billgrass
    Billgrass
    I am 10 days in. Been playing a lot. My singer turned to me at the end of rehearsal and said, "Throw the other one away, that is just amazing!" True story. Also, In another band that is prepping for a wedding, the banjo player asked me, "Could you turn that down abit, I can't hear myself." Do you think I am pleased?

Tom, YOU ARE THE BOMB. (OK, i think we have a new nickname for one major builder: Tom the bomb!)
  11. adlerburg
    adlerburg
    Hey Bill... Do you have any glamour shots of the new baby?
  12. adlerburg
    adlerburg
    I just took delivery of #235 A5 Special... (pictures and info here)... And I got it 2 days after it was strung up. This is the first time I've experienced the changing of tone literally as a few hours of playing went by. It has changed dramatically in the first 24 hours. It was pretty amazing experiencing that. I know that the builders experience a dramatic change within an hour or two of stringing up for the first time. I'm sure this will level off very soon, then start on it's gradual ascent toward maturity.
  13. Martin Stevens
    Martin Stevens
    Hows it sounding now?
  14. pjlama
    pjlama
    I had #100 when it was new. Somewhere around 6 months in I was playing and it noticeably just popped open. It was bizarre, I've never had a mando just take a quantum step like that in my hands. That was a great mandolin, wish I still had it but the grass is always greener or just appears that way. I'll own another Ellis F5, mark my words. Tom makes one of the very best.
  15. Montananmrk
    Montananmrk
    I now have #100-07S with a birdseye maple back. You are crazy to haVe sold it! I never will its awesome
  16. Brad Sicotte
    Brad Sicotte
    I just purchased #81 (2006) from the Cafe Classifieds and it is well broken in and opened up already. Just a tremendous instrument and inspiring to play it. Can't wait to put in more time on it!
  17. Benski
    Benski
    I received #320 (F5 Special) from Tom last October and can relate the same experience as pjlama, above: one day about 7 months in, it was like somebody put in new batteries! "Popping open" is actually the best way to describe it. Happy camper here.

Cheers, Ben
  18. AndrewF5
    AndrewF5
    I have 382, which I believe was built in late 2016. I bought it (new) a little less than a year ago. It sounds more open and the chop has more of a bluegrass thump today than when I first got it, but I'm not sure if that is because it has opened up or if I'm just learning how to squeeze more tone out of it after playing it daily for the last 10 months.