Excited to Be Signing Up for a Workshop!

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    My new mandolin friend from the senior center jam sessions and I have decided to sign up for the Arlington Texas workshop July 26 - 28. Can't wait!

Kevin, Arlington isn't as far from you as Austin. Hint, hint.

And, Mark, you have NO excuse for not signing up for this!
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks Sherry, looks like maybe this event? http://acousticmusiccamp.com/schedule/

If by some miracle we have an overflow of cash soon, I may sign up. I'm already determined now to go to this one in Colorado the month before: https://www.folkwest.com/folknbluegrass

Folk & Bluegrass in the beautiful Rocky Mountains! Financial considerations are important; registration for this is less than 1/4 of that one, and the rest will be spent on food & travel ... but never say never. Would be great to attend with y'all if I'm able.
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Yes, that's the one. Laurie would really like to go to Lleveland, but I have a conflict with that week.
  4. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Pagosa Springs huh Mark, well I guess you are safe as long as you aren't hauling chickens through wolf creek pass.
  5. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Mark, I suppose you can't beat Colorado vs. Texas in July, but maybe compare schedules? We like this one because of its intensity. You may have noticed the cost includes 3 meals each day.
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    "Wolf Creek Pass, way up on the great divide, truckin' on down ... the other side"

Thanks for the memory, Kevin. About the time that song came out I was traveling a bit between my home state of Louisiana and Creede - actually up into the Rio Grande National Forest above Creede. I crossed Texas at an angle and went through Raton Pass. Been to Wolf Creek a few times while doodling around Colorado, there's a ski resort up there.

For this trip, since I'm traveling from the Abilene area and not through Dallas, I'll skip over into NM earlier and just go north through there, skirting Raton - and Wolf Creek. I think it'll be fun.
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sherry, another one worth visiting is Old Settlers down below Austin. The lineup is incredible! It's coming quickly - next month - and I definitely can't make plans to attend that whole festival. BUT, if I'm able, I may go down and visit Fiddler's Green in Austin and attend only on the night that The Traveling McCourys & The Jeff Austin Band perform the Grateful Ball!
  8. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    " Went down and around and around and down 'til we run outta ground at the edge of town. Bashed into the side of the feed store... In downtown Pagosa Springs."

Love that part of Colorado. If I could figure a way to carry the mando on the Harely I'd meet ya there.
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    "Love that part of Colorado. If I could figure a way to carry the mando on the Harely I'd meet ya there"

Kevin! Dude! You need a better excuse ... I know you can get a mandolin strapped to a Harley
    Don Grieser goes there (he's from NM). I like Don, he's a long-timer here and has benefited from workshops with some of the mandolin greats. He did a version of Poor Richard's Blues several years ago, and I began to correspond with him last year. Stole his second part he'd made up for that tune, and got his advice on what I needed to do to improve. Very personable guy. I put one of his videos in the "How do I embellish" thread here. Looking forward to meeting him; would love to meet you there, too.
  10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I just saw where Dix Bruce is one of the mandolin instructors in Arlington this summer!
  11. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Nate Lee also, but I don't know of him.