Tune Requests for Next Poll (Week 14+)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie posted this on the Week #13 poll discussion:

Barb, would it be worthwhile to to "spread" the choices a bit...? like 2 Celtic/European, 3 BG/Old Time, 1 Blues, 1 Jazz, 1 Classical - and incorporate the tunes in the the current list...
    There's "talk" on the main board about starting up Blues and Jazz tunes Groups... we already got the group... we're a pretty diversified bunch ya know?

Here's a sample (to be thrown away)

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, William Tell Overture, Fur Elise

Tobin's Favourite, The Belfast Hornpipe

The Willow Garden, Annabelle, Jerusalem Ridge, Tom Dooley, Windy and Warm

Diving Duck Blues, Little Wing

Sweet Georgia Brown, Take 5

--------------
    This group is YOUR group, and the I'm just here managing it! From the beginning, it was my 'vision' that we'd incorporate as many genre as possible! I've populated the polls with tunes that ya'll have sent in when I've requested them.

So... that said, Week #14 Poll (which will be used for at least 3 weeks)... let's start with all new tunes. Please include the genre of tune along with the name of the tune.

HERE is the link to the last discussion we had on Poll Tune Suggestions.

Please check it out, and if you suggested tunes in that discussion, and haven't been used, and you'd still like them to be on the list of tunes in a poll, please RESUBMIT them to this discussion, tune name & genre

In looking at the past official tunes (weeks 1-12) it looks like we've had it pretty evenly distributed between Irish (Celtic), Old-Time & Bluegrass. One of the fun things is that in the submissions.... the folks who play bluegrass, have submitted bluegrassy celtic tunes, and the celtic players have submitted celtic-y bluegrass tunes!

We have a great social group... with almost 200 members now! I think it'd be great if we have some other genres of music incorporated into the official tune of the week... PLUS... remember... you can ALWAYS submit whatever tune you want! Many of our 'other' tunes discussions have additional submissions by other members....
  2. Daci
    Daci
    Morpeth Rant
    Traditional contra dance ,old time fiddle music.
    http://www.asaplive.com/FARNE/Learn.cfm?ccs=351&cs=580

St. Ann's Reel
    This one is listed as an Irish reel, but also French-Canadian.

The Russian folk tune "Korobeiniki (Tetris theme.)
    Traditional Russian folk song. Here is it's history for the curious;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korobeiniki
  3. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Flat Broke Fiddler (Byron Berline original off the album of the same name), swing

Hokum Blues, Blues

Hell Among the Yearlings, Old Time/Bluegrass
  4. jamann
    jamann
    How about some bluegrass. Southern Flavor, Baltimore Johnny, Boston Boy, Bluegrass Stomp, Lonesome Fiddle Blues, Big Mon, Pike County Breakdown, Monroe's Hornpipe, True Life Blues, Roanoke, Wayfaring Stranger, Cheyenne, Evening Prayer Blues, I'm Working On A Building, Jerusalems Ridge, New Camptown Races, Old Dangerfield, Paddy On The Turnpike, Temperance Reel, Walls Of Time, Whiskey Before Breakfast, and Waltz In The Bluegrass
  5. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    How 'bout Istanbul not Constantinople?
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Daci, do you have the notation for Korobeiniki? I'm going to Moscow in September and I'd like to be able to play it by then, for busking in Red Square.... hopefully videoed....
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jamann, are all those bluegrass tunes?

Sore Ears... what is Istanbul not Constantinople?
  8. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yRXSA0BK1I&NR=1 Istanbul (not Constantinople) is kind of a cool corny tune from the 50s. Redone many times. Very catchy.
  9. billkilpatrick
    haven't heard "instanbul not constantinople" in years - great song ... and impossible for me to say 5-times fast. in the same vein, howz' about "hernando's hide-away?" (ole!)
  10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I second jamann's motion. Old Dangerfield is a great tune! As are all the tunes on his list.

My personal interest is building a repertoire of mandolin standards -- bluegrass, old time, Celtic tunes (be they played Celtic or blue grassy), a smattering of American and gypsy jazz (we haven't done any of that ... Sweet Georgia Brown, Nuages, etc.). Maybe some ragtime?

What happened to Lost Indian and Bill Cheatum? There was interest in both tunes before the "Forked Deer" and "Swallow Tail" run up.

I suggest sticking with good ol' democracy in picking the tunes. I'd like to hear from Don and Old Sausage, if they're following this.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So, how do you think the best way for me to do this? Probably the BEST way for us to be assured that every genre gets their turn at tune of the week, is to make a poll that consists of ONLY that genre. For example, next poll.... ONLY blues tunes. The next week, ONLY American & Gypsy Jazz. The next week, ONLY Country. The next week ONLY show tunes. That would insure that the different genres are actually chosen.... because, if I put all genre on one poll, and the majority of voters are bluegrassers.... then the other genre will never get chosen.

So... if I do it THAT way.... What are the different genre (or closely associated that could be grouped together) that ya'll would suggest?

Some suggestions (help me here~ I got these from the regular board)
    Bluegrass
    Old-Time
    Celtic (Irish, etc)
    Fiddle Tunes (New England dance tunes, etc)
    Blues
    Jazz (what goes in here to describe the different jazz associated genre?)
    Ragtime
    Show Tunes
    World (Klezmer, Choro, what else?)
    Rock, etc.
    Classical, Medieval, Renaissance
    Country

I realize that the 'genre' groupings on the regular message board are kinda crazy.... talk about how they are grouped together in groups that aren't logical...

My job here is to make this group just what ya'll want it to be.

However, a word of caution. I was hoping to make a poll that would last a few weeks with little effort from me, because I am going to be mostly away from a computer from August 1 until August 10. I may be able to find someone with a computer and internet connection, and be able to check on the group during that time, but I was hoping not to have to devote a LOT of time to managing the group... it's my daughter's wedding in Colorado! Then, I'll be mostly available till about August 18, and then unavailable for maybe 3 weeks (again, I might be able to stop in a library along the way, now and then, and reconnect with the internet world!) Those three weeks, I'm going to be vacationing with my sister, heading down Florida way.

So, I'm open to suggestions on how best you think I can accomplish what the group desires!
  12. Susanne
    Susanne
    I agree there about mandolin standards.... if all genres have to be displayed as tune of the week, the polls that you suggested is probably the best thing... one week bluegrass, one week classical, one week jazz etc.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    One tune I thought might be good would be "I Am A Pilgrim" - it's versatile in that it could be bluegrass, blues or jazz. Not very Celtic, though.
  14. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I looked through all of the introductions and see a common thread. With a few exceptions, most of those who identified a specific musical interest mentioned the various forms of Celtic music and Bluegrass/Old Time music. Also, with a few notable exceptions, the "Other Tunes" that have been submitted have been in these genres. Additionally, there are free mandolin tabs easily available for all of the Tunes of the Week and most of the "Other Tunes".

We seem to have a winning formula in that the group is growing and members keep participating. I worry that branching out into popular music formats like show tunes, rock, jazz and maybe even blues may be counterproductive and turn some active members off. I'm not against trying some more popular tune as an experiment, but I think the majority of Tunes of the Week should continue to be the sorts of tunes that have been chosen in the past. I don't have a better suggestion on how tunes should be picked, only that they should be of interest to the majority of members.
  15. Dan Hoover
    Dan Hoover
    i don't know how you are doing all this Barbara? but, i salute you...Applauding,standing up...i think you hit it right..with all the genre's.. one week bluegrass,next week standards??rag time..and so on...i think the jazz category would include beebop,swing?
    i know i have not contributed any posting's,video's..but i'm watching and learning...and if i may say,with all you do, to moderate,taking care of this forum,i do not belive anyone would mind at all,if you take time for vacation,family, and let the forum run a week or so??
    sometimes you have to hang the " out to lunch,be back at 1" sign up...and enjoy life...the pollsters and vids will be there...
    i don't want to be a smart-alick here?but?i have to ask...would disco and reggae fall under the rock category??? or would that be world??and,does there have to be disco??
    all in fun,fun for all...dan
  16. Eddie Sheehy
    Wow! Didn't mean to open a can of worms. Here's a suggestion to generate a "self-maintaining" list while Barb get's a break:

Compile a list of 3 BG, 2 Celtic/European, 1 Blues, 1 Jazz, 1 Classical, 2 World
    Vote on it next week. At the end of the week the next 10 weeks are covered in the order of votes received.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Oh Yeah, forgot Disco... Stayin' Alive - Ah ah ah ah
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I hope to get as much input as possible from as many members on the direction they would like to see this group take. As it grows, it is going to be harder to manage, and impossible to please everyone!

Personally, I feel that the fact we have OTHER TUNE submissions, fills the need for OTHER TUNES! (duh!) If anyone has a genre that they love, that they know, that they wish to see something posted on, that hasn't been covered in the official tune of the week, all they have to do is post a discussion here, and if there is interest from the other members, they will reply! That makes sense to me, but it may not be how others see it!

Just because a blues tune (for example) makes it as tune of the week, doesn't mean that everyone will attempt it. For those of us that it is completely foreign, and so different from the music that we know how to play, it's quite possible that we would NOT be able to learn to play the blues in one week, enough to submit a video.

I know that everyone sees things differently, and someone may come up with something that works better than the way I've come up with. It just seems to me that if the tune of the week (genre-wise) is of a genre that the majority of the members are interested in, we will continue to have an active group. And, that the fact that the group is open to all other kinds of tunes/genre submissions, encourages those that are interested in other tunes/genre, to get them in the group, as well.

Maybe what I'll do is populate the next poll with a variety of genre/tunes (I think as Eddie originally proposed) and see what the majority of people vote for! Maybe do that through August & September (as I'd originally hoped... one poll for 3 weeks, then put up a new poll) then when things calm down for me the last part of September, try something new?
  19. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but I think the group is about to take a wrong turn. If we're going to branch out to 12-bar blues and Broadway tunes, we should put those suggestions in a list with a selection of the more typical stuff we've been doing and make them the tune of the week if they get the votes. Efforts to please all of the people all of the time usually end up pleasing nobody.
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Definitely. The votes will decide whether a tune makes it or not. So get out the vote - remembering your vote DOES count. Out of almost 200 members less than 50 have been voting and considerably fewer actually participate. Expanding the genres may or may not attract more participation. There's no way of knowing until the votes are counted. One thing for sure, BG is the most popular genre in this group followed by Celtic.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, you're not stepping on MY toes, for sure! Little did I know when I took on starting this group, just how popular it would be. And, we're in uncharted territory, so I get to make up the rules as I go along! So, what you, and Eddie are proposing, is that we incorporate some additional genre tunes into the 10 tune poll, and go from there. I can just about guarantee that if majority rules, the tune of the week will continue in the same vein as it has.... Bluegrass, Old Time and Celtic!

Again.... when you consider that I just posted week #13 of official tunes... but we have over 100 tunes in the 'OTHER' category, I believe that the opportunity for other tunes, other genre, being included this group, and AVAILABLE for the members to learn from, and contribute to, IS ALREADY IN PLACE!

If the purpose of this group, is to learn different tunes, different techniques, different genre... there's nothing magical about the tune being an official tune of the week, as opposed to one of the 'other' tunes submitted. It's not like the members HAVE to participate in the tune of the week, or HAVE to have their tune submission in by a certain time, or are going to be graded on their submission. If any tune submitted, be it an official tune of the week, or one of the other tunes, is interesting to anyone, they can act upon it, learn from it, learn it, video it, and submit it!
  22. jamann
    jamann
    Barbara asked "Are those all bluegrass tunes" referring to "How about some bluegrass. Southern Flavor, Baltimore Johnny, Boston Boy, Bluegrass Stomp, Lonesome Fiddle Blues, Big Mon, Pike County Breakdown, Monroe's Hornpipe, True Life Blues, Roanoke, Wayfaring Stranger, Cheyenne, Evening Prayer Blues, I'm Working On A Building, Jerusalems Ridge, New Camptown Races, Old Dangerfield, Paddy On The Turnpike, Temperance Reel, Walls Of Time, Whiskey Before Breakfast, and Waltz In The Bluegrass"

Yes, they are bluegrass.
  23. Eddie Sheehy
    What's your top 3? Remembering that some of them have already been done...
  24. jamann
    jamann
    Eddie asked " What's your top 3?"

If I had to choose just three I would say, Bluegrass Stomp, Evening Prayer Blues, and Waltz In Bluegrass.
  25. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    I vote for adding Southern Flavor to the list.
    Thanks!
  26. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    Oh, and I'll second Bluegrass Stomp and Evening Prayer Blues while I'm at it.
  27. billkilpatrick
    "evening prayer blues" is ok by me; "arkansas traveler" perhaps ... and i'll be whistling "stayin' alive" all day now - thanks, eddie ...

jazz chords make me want go lie down in a darkened room with a damp handkerchief over my head.
  28. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thoughtwise I am only capable of cliches these days....so

1. if it ain't broke don't fix it...

2. keep it simple sweet...

3. you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't......

I think Eddie or someone made a suggestion that in general kept the system we have, keeps it simple and understandable, and keeps most everyone happy most of the time.

Like you say, anytime someone wants to submit a tune they can -- if no one picks up on it then they might not have pick up on it as tune of the week either-- I think we all enjoy all of the submissions.

That said........I'd probably be happy with any system we pick.
  29. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Here's seconds to Jesu's Joys of Man's Desire & Jerusalem Ridge.

I'll thow in Greensleaves & Kansas City Kitty for suggestions.
  30. Daci
    Daci
    Whiskey Before Breakfast is not bluegrass,it's actually Celtic..And hornpipes are not bluegrass. These can be played in the bluegrass style,which i don't.
    I also pick and choose what tunes i will learn and I'm sure others do as well.
    Another option would be to split this into two song of the week groups.one for modern music:Jazz,bluegrass,show tunes,etc.
    and one for traditional music. Someone who is interested in the modern music could basically run that one. Would that make things easier or not?
  31. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    I've been kind of swamped the last month - but since we are getting more and more tunes posted, whether tune of the week or not - would it help to have some broad categories like 'ragtimes' and 'hornpipes' and then folks can post their tune to the proper category? I know that would help some of us more inexperienced musicians if we can hear several different rags in a row - to start recognizing the typical progressions of a ragtime, reel, hornpipe, etc.
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm with Barb on this one. Tune of the week is voted on. Other tunes can be posted at will. It's real easy to catogarize the the tunes after they have been posted with alternate indexes - as long as someone is prepared to do it. For instance - If I wanted to create a list of ALL tunes posted posted BY type of tune; hornpipe, reel, quicketep, waltz etc. ALL I have to do is create a post with links to the titles - I don't have to ask Barbara to do it, I can do it by myself. And I can bump it up as I feel appropriate. Barb already maintains several lists of tunes to make them findable - if you feel you need some more lists, then create and maintain them yourselves. Barb has her plate full and she has done a magnificent job of getting us all together... it's time to pitch in.

Daci - create a post with a list of Jazz,bluegrass,show tunes from the tunes already posted and add to it as more are posted...

Hddnkat - Create a list of Ragtimes and Hornpipes...

Eddie (that's me) - Create a list of sad-tunes-played-in-Gm-by-an-all-dog-ensemble.

This is not a one-person-do-everything board.

PARTICIPATE.

Barb has shown the way.
  33. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    I agree with Eddie -- we've asked enough of Barb already (and we all owe her a big THANK YOU, too!!). The current structure works, as this is the most active Social Group by a mile.
  34. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Eddie - the problem is I don't know enough about the tunes posted to identify them as hornpipes, reels etc - If folks would categorize their tune when they post it, I would be happy to make and maintain an index post of each type of tune. - LOL, too bad this isn't like a blog where we could tag our posts as celtic, bluegrass, reel, rag, hornpipe, etc.