Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Russ Jordan
    Russ Jordan
    Scott,
    I haven't kept count after 20.....

Russ
  2. Steve Johnston
    Steve Johnston
    About a year ago I acquired a Collings model MF #498. It is a blackface model and is definitely well played. It has a much darker tone than my Givens. I'd been looking for an F model for about 3 years and have bought and sold too many mandolins trying to find one that really spoke to me. I think this is the one.
  3. Lane Pryce
    Lane Pryce
    MT2 #4212, torrefied, dark honey amber color. Crazy figure in the woods, wide grained red spruce top. Excellent volume, clear bright treble, strong midrange and G.
  4. Jph
    Jph
    As a reforming guitar player, I recently bought a Collings MT, serial number 4422 from the Olde Town Picking Parlor in Arvada, Colorado. (An awesome shop) I probably should be embarrassed for having a mandolin this nice, as I am a pandemic newbie, but after picking away at a relatively inexpensive Kentucky mandolin for several months, decided to take the plunge. My wife said that I instantly improved several levels, and the instrument gets hours of use weekly (and sometimes hours daily, benefiting from long, boring zoom meetings with my microphone muted and camera turned off). I feel a bit sorry for my mandolin that it didn’t get a more deserving partner, but I love it dearly and can hardly put the thing down.

By the way, the Collings web site has a table with mandolin serial numbers by date of production. You can find it here: https://www.collingsguitars.com/faq/mandolins/ The table is not complete and only goes to 2019. It looks like they have been building a couple hundred A style and a hundred or so F style mandolins per year for the past several years. I would guess mine is either late 2019 or early 2020.
  5. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    Mt2 3564
  6. Ron G
    Ron G
    Hello! Just signed in and wanted to add my MF5 to the list. It is a 2003, serial number 108 and signed by Bill. I purchased the mandolin last year from the Mandolin Store and absolutely love it. My number one had been a Kentucky KM-1500 bought new in 1986 and is still a great mandolin. I've always wanted a Collings and when this one came up I couldn't resist. I even found it listed on another stores site from a few years back so I know it has made the rounds. I'm still amazed how little wear it had for its age. I've added more dings in my six months that it had when I got it, but I bought it to play and enjoy! If someone out there knows a little more history on this MF5 I'd love to hear it!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123