One year in

1. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Well, I have owned a mandolin for one trip around the sun. A couple of weeks ago I ran across the receipt, and it was dated April 22, 2017.

I won't go through the whole story, with it's many twists and turns, but buying anything like that was the furthest thing from my mind that day. I stopped in an antique store to ask about something unrelated, and a pretty little F-style was sitting forlornly in the back of the store, next to some ugly yellow plastic flowers. As a player of bowed string instruments I could tell it was handmade, and looked well-made and like it was in decent shape. Afraid someone would buy it, glue the ugly yellow plastic flowers to it, and hang it on the bathroom door, I shelled out $145 + tax and took it home, thinking of my middle son, who had played a little in college. Convinced I was incapable of judging mandolin quality, and figuring anything I paid $145 for was junk, he took a pass (from 2000 miles away), a decision he regretted when he was home a few months later and played it.

It spent a few days at the spa having some loose binding reattached, the set-up checked, and new strings put on. I rounded up a few picks and an instruction book, and off we went.

So, what have I learned? A lot, actually. I'm by no means proficient, but have progressed. Fiddle tunes are fun, Irish traditional is too, and Bach and Telemann fit the instrument nicely. There have been a few chances to play with others, one fellow newbie I met through the Café, and one classical buddy. I have changed strings several times, the one part of this I don't care for, and have shed plenty of blood in the process. Tremolo is a work in progress, but it's getting closer.

MAS is real. I added a mandola last fall—what violist can resist that?—and I'm pretty sure an oval-hole is in my immediate future. There are a couple of things on my to-die-for list, but I can't justify the expenditure right now.

I guess the best thing I have learned is that most mandolinists are pretty swell people! Thanks for the support and advice on the first year of the journey.
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Happy mandolinist-birthday Louise! I love your writing style! Now I need a new t-shirt:

MAS Is Real

What a lovely story, and what a pleasure to have your cyber company this past year. Glad you're adding your music to this old world, more is always needed.
  3. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Isn't it funny - my first mandolin birthday is right around this time too; (just after my son's birthday, which is on the 26th).

Yes. MAS is VERY real . . . I think I bought FIVE in my first year.

What is most depressing is that after a year, Louise is playing Bach . . . I have been at it for 19 years, and just figured out 'When The Saints Come Marching In' - which is a song you usually see in Beginner books.

Maybe it's time fore me to take up the kazoo . . . .

(sigh)
  4. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Mike, didn't you also buy an instrument for an uninterested kid? Their loss, our gain.

You and Mark both have the advantage of a guitar foundation, which gives you skills and knowledge I don't have. My music reading skills, and the translation from those dots on paper to my left hand, is solid. Right hand, not so much. Probably the opposite of most people here.

What do you think folks, do we have a new group motto? Mark, I look forward to seeing the t-shirt designs!
  5. bbcee
    bbcee
    Louise, it's a pleasure to read & chuckle your synopsis. We all seem to come to the instrument in similar but distinct ways. Thanks also for the inspiration to get a mandola - I know you didn't know you actively inspired me, but you posting about it came at the right time to confirm that it would be a good thing to try. Am I enjoying it!

Here's to your second, fifth, tenth-year posting in the Old-Newbie group!
  6. FredK
    FredK
    Louise, thank you for sharing your first year's journey. It's great to hear how far you've come in just 12 months. It's an encouragement to me to keep pushing forward. Your info on intervals have been especially helpful.

I was thinking about my upcoming 1 year anniversary last night while working on some Mike Marshall lessons. I've been studying a lot on advanced theory this year to beef up what I learned as a youngster and working on scales which has helped me get very comfortable with the fingering. Been working on fiddle tunes, hymns and some songs from the web, but Bach and Telemann have not even shown up on the radar yet. Like MikeZito, I am very impressed.

And, oh, how I have been lusting in the classifieds and the TMS and Elderly websites. Even living in a large Metroplex, there are no mandolin stores close by which has been a blessing. Otherwise, I might succumb to the MAS bug. It's going to happen soon but it has to be one that really calls my name.
  7. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    I've just completed year 3. Not sure the guitar was that much help in transition. And boy I wish I had got out and played with others in year one. Tremolo is progressing but no guarantee it doesn't sputter like my harley for a measure or two before it smooths out. Congrats on how far you have come Louise.
  8. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Louise, did you also buy the flowers? Can't help but wonder.
  9. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I’d say you are a true and proper mandolinner. So a first year anniversary is no surprise but it certainly justification for a celebration.
  10. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Louise - are we talking about your 'Reno' mandolin as your $145.00 find?
  11. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sherry, I left the flowers for some other lucky shopper. Couldn't get behind the yellow. Or the plastic.

For those of you mentioning Telemann, I got a great book of Telemann for mandolin on the Mel Bay website. The pieces were chosen and edited by John Goodin, who posts around here now and then, mainly in the classical subforum. The pieces range from pretty easy to less so, all sorts of key signatures and time signatures. Standard notation and tab, for those of you who prefer numbers to dots. Mel Bay has several books of Bach, too.

Mike, yes, I paid that for the Reno. I've been told by people who knew the luthier that that was perhaps about 5% of what an accurate price might have been. Don't know if that's true, but I feel like it got a good home. I'm not a good shopper, and don't usually end up with great deals, but I got lucky this time.

Thanks for all the good wishes, folks. I hope this was the first year of many, for me and for everyone else, too.
  12. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Reno for $145? You should have bought a few lottery tickets that day, because good old Lady Luck was certainly smiling on you!

p.s. - if you ever decide you want to double the money on your investment, I will gladly give you $290 for it.
  13. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    $145. Pretty good. AND, Free shipping!
  14. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Yup. Tucked the case under my arm and walked out the door.
  15. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Wait!

$145 . . . and it came with a case?

You're KILLING me!
  16. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Nice old hardshell case, velvet-lined, hinges and handle intact, worn but solid. Naugahyde over wood. Plus a chord book in 4-point type, and a selection of picks. I couldn't replace the case for $145.
  17. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Oh, and a really nice leather strap, looks handmade.
  18. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Louise:

To quote what you once said to me in another thread . . . .

BRAT!
  19. Louise NM
    Louise NM