welcome!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hey Southern Man, welcome to the bunch. By definition, we are social at the very least. Sometimes even sociable.

Have you got a metronome? Software or hardware, either one is great. I now start my practice sessions with slow scales to a slow beat in quarter notes all down strokes. Then eighth notes downupdownup. Do it all again a bit faster. Then a bit faster. Etc. The metronome will drive you crazy, but it's good medicine.
  2. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome Southern Man!
  3. Big Karuna
    Big Karuna
    Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I play fiddle even though I am someone who should never be allowed near anything without frets (tin ear, heck, mine is downright aluminum), and took up mandolin on the side to work on learning theory. However I've grown to like the mandolin for itself and play it more and more lately. I don't know how far I'll get -- I am severely dubious about my ability to ever stretch my pinky far enough to do FFCP scales on the lower strings, much less closed chords -- but I'm having fun picking out fiddle tunes and lurking on the Cafe. My interests are primarily Celtic and old-time, so MAS has already reared its ugly head ("must...not...get...oval hole...must...not...read...classifieds").
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hi, Big K. Welcome. Glad you came in from the cold. My pinkie needs to be cajoled and threatened in order for it to be of any use at all. I'm old enough to realize that I'll never really need to be fluent in FFCP or even just in reaching for that high B, and to be OK with that realization. But, that said, I do still exercise it enough that it could be used in an emergency, with a little limbering up.

This month's tune of the month calls for one of those pesky B's so I'll be working on it. Maybe it'll stay with me this time.

ps: I don't know how one can play the fiddle without a good ear and a good pinkie. But that's OK, welcome to the odd bunch.
  5. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome, Big Karuna! Good luck on stretching the pinky!
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Welcome to the dance, Big Karuna. Those finger stretches on playing stringed instruments are tough to get used to. There can be a lot of fun working it out, though.
  7. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Well, I bought my second mandolin-type instrument today. Was in a second hand shop and they had a baglama for a good price. Honestly I can barely strum my mandolin, but this was so pretty thought I would buy it and use it for a wall-hanger for a little while. When/if I get a little better at the mando I will give this a try. Got a post in the big-kids forum trying to find out more information about it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123