Texans and Mandolins!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Walker Bailey
    Walker Bailey
    Austin Texas pwns all. Live music capital of the world. Lots of hippes but it still retains its texas charm
  2. David Newton
    David Newton
    There is something comforting to me about going to Austin and still finding plenty of hippies around.
  3. stoney
    stoney
    Hi, new guy signing in. Kerrville Texas mando picker (for couple of years).
    Great to know there are others out there.

Stoney
  4. texaspaul
    texaspaul
    Hi everyone,Texaspaul reporting in. I'm originally fromKy, been in Texas since 1980. I live in the Tyler area (Bullard) There is a BG jam in Mixon 1st Sat. Mixon is about 20 miles from Tyler, Bullard about 15.
    Paul
  5. B. T. Walker
    B. T. Walker
    Hello everyone. I'm B. T. Walker, formerly altair38, and I've been around the Cafe for a few years. I grew up in Stephenville, 60 miles southwest of Fort Worth on US 377, but moved to San Antonio after college and a hitch in the US Army. For the last 23 years I've been teaching history to middle schoolers, which may sound like the deepest pit in Hades to some, but it is the age group I find most interesting to teach. Got my first mandolin fifteen years ago, but didn't really get serious with it until right before I joined the Cafe. I look forward to meeting you fellow Texans (and Mike Bunting from the ice farm up yonder [Hi, Mike! ]).
  6. Mike Bunting
    Howdy Brian, how you doing, hope is well. Everything is cool up here
  7. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    @David - I generally back up with my guitar, too -my mandolin playin' is not really ready for priime time.

And in answer to a much earlier question, based on personal experience at Stephen F Austin State Park, Nacogdoches is Indian for 'flippin' cold water in the swimmin' hole!!!'

@B.T.- I'm the instructional technologist for a middle school here in Kyle. I love that age-group of kids, and the teachers who work with them are a fun, hard-partying bunch to work with, too.

I haven't made it to the Texas Pickin' Park yet - the second Saturday keeps falling on a weekend when I have other commitments, but the last email I got from them said there was a pre-jam Jam on the Friday evening before Second Saturday this July 10th, so I may make it to that one -maybe I'll see some of ya'll.
  8. Keith Erickson
    Keith Erickson
    Barbara,

My apologies for responding "extremely late" to your post. How far are you from Friendswood?
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Keith.... my home in Texas is in Manvel, which is near the intersection of Hiways 6 & 288, and relatively close to Friendswood (close in Texas terms, haha!) I just left Texas on Tuesday, but will be back there later this summer!
  10. Keith Erickson
    Keith Erickson
    Hi Barbara,

I cousins in Friendswood. I can't speak to how it is there in Galveston County but we've been in the 100º degree + for a couple of weeks now.

Have a great summer and we look forward to having you back in the Lone Star State again.

Take care,
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Keith.... I was in Texas, in the Houston and Austin areas for 3 weeks, and the temps were 100+ every day! Got back to Iowa... and it was in the 50's last night! Didn't even make it up to 70 today... I've been wearing a sweater all day! In Texas, I was SWEATING all day! Barb
  12. catnhat287
    catnhat287
    just joined wanted to say hey from holliday Tx
  13. David Newton
    David Newton
    Hello Hat,
    Not too much action around here, what with all the hot weather.
  14. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    We've finally got a respite from the heat. It was in the low 60's yesterday am and this morning. Cool enough yesterday to jam in the shade.
  15. Chris Willingham
    Chris Willingham
    Not quite from Texas, but does 15 miles from the border count? The Oklahoma group seems to have vanished. Checking in from Idabel, OK here. About 40 miles from Paris and Texarkana. Was born in Texas, so I guess I'm claimable.
  16. KennyK5008
    KennyK5008
    Hey, all. From San Angelo and have only been playing the Mandolin for about one month. I have a musical background and have learned about 12 songs (bluegrass and old time) in the first month, but I am trying to find someone to give me some pointers. I don't want to self teach myself into a corner. P/S how the heck do I get an old fender mandlolin to stop buzzing on the low strings. argggg. Anyhoo, Looking forward to more fun with this group
  17. Hawgr
    Hawgr
    Hello all, I was born and raised in Nashville/Mt. Juilet Tn. Army retired liveing in San Antonio. Been playing Mandolin here and there for years I'm a much better guitar picker but just love my mandolin.
    I have the best wife ever she bought my newest mandolin for our 25th wedding anvissary. Looking forward to picking with you folks
  18. Kentucky Lineage
    Kentucky Lineage
    Hello all! Checking in from Santa Fe (Galveston County), TEXAS! Just off of Highway 6 between Manvel and Galveston.

Thought maybe I could stir up some discussion here.

Retired military, and living peacefully. Been learning on my "The Loar" LM-600 (VS) for a short while. And loving it!

My fingertips are sore, but I can't stop!

Regards,

Mike
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, welcome! I live in two places... Iowa (where I am now) and Manvel, where I've owned a home for 21 years! We've probably stood in the same line in Alvin's Walmart! We'll have to try to meet when I'm back in Texas. What kind of music do you play?
  20. Kentucky Lineage
    Kentucky Lineage
    Hey Barbara,

Have never learned to read ANY music. As child, played piano by ear and by closely watching the arrangements and tempo. Never learned to play much. Father plays dulcimer and accoustic guitar some. I have had several guitars, but after 20 some years, it never felt quite right.

Here recently, been looking at sheet music for gospel songe arranged for mandolin. Some of the members at church do not read music either, but are quite good with accoustic guitar and banjo. My being a novice, I have someone to learn from, and jam with. Interests are gospel, bluegrass, and some woodsfolk music. Ian Anderson from the group Jethro Tull plays a mandolin. He calls it his Other girlie instrument.

Dad's side of family is rich with musicians who do not read music. Some have made their own banjos, mandolins and dulcimers. Every year, the "Kitchen" family reunion is held in Lawrence County, Kentucky. Dry county (no beer or anything), lots to eat, and used to be, someone would bring instruments. Looks like I have even more reason to attend, with mando over my shoulder.

Mike
  21. Psyberbilly
    Psyberbilly
    Living and working in South Austin , working on getting a place built on my land on the Divide in Blanco county . Bought my first mandolin in '77 and can play a few tunes in several genres , but mostly have MILES of room for improvement , that is why I am here ! Started on the 5 string in '75 and still love it too , but once you get mandolin in your blood you never get it out !
  22. Kentucky Lineage
    Kentucky Lineage
    Hey,

Here in Galveston County, TEXAS, there is the Bay Area Bluegrass Association monthly gathering in League City, taking place this weekend 16OCT2010.

I think I'll check it out.

Mike
  23. pinky57
    pinky57
    I might be moving to TX soon. Dallas/Ft. Worth. Any mandolin players/teachers out that way?
  24. Kentucky Lineage
    Kentucky Lineage
    If you folks get a chance, listen to a new release from Sarah Jarosz. The name of her album is Song Up In Her Head, and has some great Mandolin playing by her on several songs. She is a TEXAS Girl, so I bought one of her CDs.

While lookin around, I found a GREAT old video of Bill Monroe and Marty Stevens playing the powerfull song Southern Flavor. From the looks of Marty Stuarts clothes and Hair, video was probably late 1980s. Watch Bill bend forward at his hips to get his ears closer to Marty's pre-war D-45. That guitar used to belong to Hank Williams. And Marty Stuart does a fine job playing it.

Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=9NcCgsAMxhs for viewing.

Mike in Santa Fe, TEXAS
  25. Kentucky Lineage
    Kentucky Lineage
    Anybody home?

Mike
  26. stevenmando
    stevenmando
    Hi Im in Mineral Wells Texas not far form fort Worth
  27. liestman
    liestman
    Howdy all. I am in Kingwood (NE burb of Houston). I play an old Stefan Sobell, a National RM1 and a Keith Cary Commodium, playing trad Irish and English and a bit of ragtime stuff.
  28. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    Happy New Year! I've haven't looked in on this group in a while. I'm still playing as much as is possible. There are a lot of musicians in Nacogdoches so finding opportunities to play music isn't the problem. Juggling music and everything else in life is!
  29. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    Greetings from the San Antonio area!
  30. harper
    harper
    I am from College Station. Anyone else?
  31. greg_tsam
    greg_tsam
    Howdy Folks. I'm in Houston and I'm always interested in getting together and picking. If you come around and visit some of the local jams, drop me a PM.
  32. Tommcgtx
    Tommcgtx
    Hi there, there don't seem to be any recent replies, so, here goes........
    My name is Tom and I live in El Paso. I'm originally from Pittsburgh, and arrived here through the Army, and just never left! Anyway, I just started learning Mandolin, and thought I'd introduce myself.
  33. padawan
    padawan
    Hi Tom! Welcome to the Cafe!
    If you are just starting out on the Mandolin be sure and check out the Newbies Group here on the Cafe.
  34. Tommy Berry
    Tommy Berry
    I joined here last August but I am just now trying to get back to learning the mandolin...I'm in East Texas, Brownsboro to be exact. I would love to find someone in my area that plays. -Tommy
  35. rubydubyr
    rubydubyr
    Ft Worth area here, a real newbie to the mandolin. Been playing less than 2 weeks. Can pick out simple melodies, and play the G,D,C chords so far, former piano player (but haven't played the piano in years).
  36. Terry Sebastian
    Terry Sebastian
    Huffman Texas, here (just about a 45 minute drive north of Houston). Good to see a bunch of Texas pickers!
  37. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hello all, I'm in the Big Country just a few miles east of Abilene, from the Dallas area by way of Louisiana. Lived around Dallas for nearly thirty years. 45 year guitarist and just learning the mandolin. Or having a love affair with the mandolin. Anyway, I saw this group listed in Barbara's signature, and just had to join up.

I like to play at the Pearl Bluegrass Jam in Pearl, Texas (just east of Gatesville), it's a monthly affair, so come on whenever you can!

http://www.pearlbluegrass.com/New-Home-Page
  38. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Hello, everyone. I live in Irving. Been taking mandolin lessons from my son's violin teacher for about 2 years. Played at her student recital at a nursing home in March. And just played my first jam session this week. Yikes! That was scary! But fun at the same time. I hope to do that each week in the future.
  39. Skip Brownlow
    Skip Brownlow
    Hi all any mando pickers in the Buda, Kyle area?

Skip B. Mountain City Texas
  40. harper
    harper
    Dear Texans,

I'm in College Station. We have a mandolin practice group called Plucked Pairs. Mostly we play Celtic, English, and classical tunes that I arrange in 3 part harmonies plus chords. I've published the arrangements in books sold by Amazon (Evelyn's Big Books for Mandolin). We always welcome new players. Please PM me if you'd like to play some tunes.
    Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni
  41. brobmarketing
    brobmarketing
    Dear Texans,

I figured I would make an attempt at reviving this thread since I'm a Texan AND a Newbie.

For the curious.... I started playing last July and the A-style mando is my first instrument although I'm also spending a little time learning the drums as I find this to be therapeutic and help improve my strum rhythm.

For mando instruction, I mostly watch YouTube videos and follow an amazing teacher/musician on Patreon. Although I'm not quite ready to play with others it might be fun to get together and foster the Texas mando community. I'm located in North Central Texas between DFW and Waco.
  42. kd8jgu
    kd8jgu
    Hey allI am in Overton
    Just starting with mandolin
    Having a hard time finding instructors anyone here have any suggestions
  43. brobmarketing
    brobmarketing
    Greetings kd8jgu!

Are you looking for in-person instructions as there are several online options to consider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12