First mandolin in hand

1. Greg P. Stone
    Greg P. Stone
    I'm a long-time drummer and sometimes guitarist. Until yesterday I had never touched a mandolin.

I like to do business locally. I've been in a bicycle group here in Sequim and got an '89 Klein made in Chehalis and this year, a 2004 Rodriquez made in Seattle.

I have a custom drum set from a builder in Seattle and I got into Tacoma guitars, which leads my to my mandolin:

Back to font that's a "99 Tacoma JM16CE jumbo, an Olympia OP20SWM parlor guitar and an Olympia OM6SW mandolin. Olympia was a cheapo second line for Tacoma, but in 2003 as they struggled to make a profit they decided to take high quality wood and send it to their former parent, Young Chang Piano, to assemble. Very few guitars were made before the idea fizzled but these guitars with the SW (solid wood) designation are excellent. My parlor is serial # 00001 and is the equal of the $1700 Tacoma PM20.

When I saw this mandolin on ebay with "SW" in the model number I jumped on it. I received it yesterday, changed the string and have been working on scales and chords.

2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    One of the interesting features of the social group software is that it does not automatically resize photos to fit. I generally resample images to be posted here down to about 850 pixels wide. I use Corel Photopaint to do that because that is the image editing software I have used since early MS-DOS days. There are probably easier (and cheaper) ways to do it. But the key word is "resample" if you aren't up to speed with image editting software.

The good news is that the hard part is figuring out how to get any image into a social group post. Congrats for getting over that hump. And that Olympia mandolin does look pretty nice. Can't wait to hear a sample.
  3. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Welcome to the group! Play, learn, enjoy and keep us updated.