Welcome to the woodshed! Please introduce yourself ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Hello all, I bought my first mandolin a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. Going to give The Master Class a go and see where it takes me. I've started working on the tunes of the month for January and February in the Newbie section but am having trouble making quality videos with my current laptop, tablet and phone. I got to get that worked out. Looking forward to joining you all on this journey!
    Mike
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Welcome, Mike. A good number of us check in here every day or so. So don't hesitate to raise questions or contribute ideas.
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Glad you're joining us, Mike. I'm on lesson 4 and will be for a while. Look forward to you catching up with me. ☺
  4. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Thanks Hank and Sherry,
    I got the MMC book downloaded last night and started browsing through it. I hope to have a new printer early next week to get my books printed. I'm sure I'll be hitting you guys up before long.
    Mike
  5. Bluegrasscal_87
    Bluegrasscal_87
    So I know I'm late to the woodshed but, better late than never

I picked up Mandolin in November of 2017 and have really fallen in love with it. I wish I had picked it up years ago. I think folks learn best when they learn as a group so I was really excited to see that there was a group learning together here in the woodshed. I'll do my best to catch up!
  6. Tony Ray
    Tony Ray
    Greetings,
    My name is Tony Ray from Illinois, and I'm new here.
    I’m currently learning on an Epiphone MM-30S. Very excited to begin my new Mandolin journey. I'm striving to learn folk, bluegrass, jazz, blues, and classical mandolin beginner compositions as well as compose original material to accompany the acoustic guitar, cello, keys, etc…
    As a potential upgrade from the MM-30S, I’m looking at The Loar LM-520-VS Mandolin from The Mandolin Store.
    Excited to absorb, learn, practice all I can as well as interact with Mando Players on the Mandolin Cafe as time permits.
    Best Regards,
    Tony Ray
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hi Tony! Do you currently play those instruments (acoustic guitar, cello, keys, etc.) o0r do you have friends that you'll be playing with who do?

Welcome to the group, I hope we can learn together. Tell us a bit about your musical background. I've been singing since age 4 or 5, sang alone in front of the first grade class after I started school. Began learning guitar at age 11 or 12, and started mandolin at age 60, about three years ago. I've learned a lot in this group, and in the newbies group, and gotten a lot out of this forum. It's a great place to get involved.
  8. jonfranzis
    jonfranzis
    Hi all, I am from down under in New Zealand. Have reached the age of reason and entered the age of wonder! Been playing classical guitar, started at 15 years old stopped at 15 years old. Restarted at 64 years old....cant remember much in between. Sure gone fast! Anyway, got bored in the woodshed so looked around for a group. Found a Mando orchestra! Bought a mando or 2 or 3 or more and am working towards joining the orchestra. Like waltzes, irish, Italian and bluegrass if I ever get fast enough. Look forward to playing along with you guys. Get to the US every now and then so maybe I'll see you there. (yes I know its BIG!)
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hi jonfranzis, welcome to the woodshed group! I just turned 64 last week Thursday, myself.

If you elect to study along in Mandolin Master Class ebook, just start at the beginning lesson here, and post any questions or comments in the lesson threads and I will be glad to discuss with you. Sending you a big welcome from the state of Texas!
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Welcome, jonfranzis! I am late to mandolin as well but I am enjoying it. Mark has some good stuff posted here in the Woodshed. I see you have checked out the Newbies group, too.
  11. jonfranzis
    jonfranzis
    Thanks for the welcome. soaking up as much as I can. somehow all this knowledge takes a while to reach my fingers. Like everything, it just takes time I guess.
  12. jbaw
    jbaw
    Hello everyone. I live in Olive Branch, MS which is close to Memphis TN. I started playing mandolin about a year and a half ago and have fallen in love with it. I also have MAS already but I figure with starting out at 59 years old I need to go ahead and experience all the different instruments I can. :-)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12