Drifting Clouds

1. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    My latest tune is called "Drifting Clouds". With the beautiful weather the last week I rediscovered something I did a lot when I was a child. I watched the sky and studied the drifting clouds for hours. This can be so relaxing! I think they call it Mindfullness nowadays. Anyway, it's must be very good for our health and so much more inspiring than watching TV.

The tune will soon be on my weblog luurtieful.blogspot.com for anyone who wants to give it a try. I'm still working on the sheetmusic and mandolintabs...

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You have done it again, Hendrik - come up with a very interesting tune which has so many great wee phrases. I look forward to the notation when you get it posted.
    Thanks.
  3. Francis J
    Francis J
    Really nice Hendrik, and lovely arrangement.
  4. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Another great tune Hendrik. I thing maybe I'll go out and watch the clouds a while.....
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Interesting tune and very clean picking. Only ... by watching the video I felt a little confused: after a minute I realized that I missed the sound of the wind and the rustle of the leaves.
    Thanks for sharing your tune.
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for all the compliments! Maybe you're right Frithjof, those sounds could have completed it to get a full meditation. B.t.w. I should have filtered the music out
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Beautiful composition, very well played! I especially like the am-Bb chord progression, reminds me of the neapolitan chord in Baroque music.
  8. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Crisscross!

I finished the sheetmusic and mandolin tabs. I shared them on my weblog http://luurtieful.blogspot.com/2019/...ng-clouds.html
  9. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Hendrik,

Another beautiful tune! I first listened to it last evening and played it through two or three times, and it became stuck in my head. I ended up downloading the tab first thing this morning and sat down and worked it out. I am a sucker for tunes in or with minors, and this one is no exception. I am anxious to show it to a small group I jam with on Monday evenings.

Thanks again for sharing your music.

Mark
  10. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Mark, it's so great to hear you like my tune. I'm sure you'll soon be able to play it. Good luck with it!
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Loving this song. Keep writing Hendrik, enjoying them all.
  12. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Ginny! Nr. 23 is almost ready..
  13. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Bad Habbits wrote: "I am a sucker for tunes in or with minors, and this one is no exception."

I'm the opposite. Ordinarily, I can't stand minor-key tunes - most times I don't even bother listening to a tune once I hear that minor sound in the first few bars.

But there are occasional exceptions that are really *really* nice - and many of Hendrick's tunes are in that extraordinarily nice category, for instance the Song-A-Week tune "A Rainy Day" which I liked well enough to try making a recording (of sorts).

This latest tune here in this thread, "Drifting Clouds", is another nice minor-key tune. I've just started working on trying to learn it... I need to get more comfortable with the 1st-fret notes (I'm not much accustomed to playing flatted notes in the genres I usually play). I'm a slow learner nowadays so it will take me a while.

Hendrik wrote: "I finished the sheetmusic and mandolin tabs. I shared them on my weblog http://luurtieful.blogspot.com/2019/...ng-clouds.html"

Thanks Hendrick for the tab and notation! Definitely easier to learn tunes when listening to the music and seeing the notes at the same time.

I'd wondered what was the "Bes" chord in bar 19, I hadn't heard of that chord before, but a Google search-result page says:

"...there are programs that use "es" or "s" to indicate a flat when using typewritten characters. Probably they do that to avoid confusion between the note "b" and the use of the letter "b" as a flat symbol; "es" or "s" is the German abbreviation for "flat."

So Bes chord is B flat (Bb), I learned something new today and that's cool.
  14. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for the compliments JL277z and as you might have noticed, I love tunes with a minor in it. I always thought Bes was common. I'm from the Netherlands and from what I learned in music class when I was a kid that this particular note can be called a Bes (Flat B) ore even a Ais (Sharp A). In Germany a B-flat is called B, and a normal B is an H, I think that's confusing.

Maybe I will change the chord-symbols in Bb to be clear.
  15. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    This is a very nice and pleasant tune. I mostly agree with JL277z about minor tunes... with exceptions. I'm sure it has something to do with how I labeled them in my head as 'sour tunes' when I was a young kid. It is always enjoyable to find a good minor tune. Thanks for playing and offering it to us.

And to JL277z, thank you for the Bes lesson. That's new to me, too.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Another luurtieful tune! Have you always had this relaxed vibe to it your playing, or did it come with proficiency? You make it sound easy, although it's hard.
  17. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Gelsenbury, It has certainly to do with the way I always wanted to sound on a mandolin. I made some progress over the years but when I listen to recordings from the very first beginning I'm always surprised about how I played 10 years ago and sounded the same. I quess everyone has his own musicality and with that his own way of playing the mandolin. Beside that I think a mandolinplayer has to accept his own limitations at some point and try to be better in things he or she is already good at. I was at the Grevengrass festival yesterday and heard mandolinplayers do things I know I never will achieve.. That's no problem to me, they probably can't sound like me.
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I think with A Rainy Day, A Sunny Day and Drifting Clouds that Hendrik is a meteorologist in his heart or at least a minor meteorologist.
  19. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    We'll have a luurtieful tune for any weather!

Edit: Thank you for the explanation, by the way. I guess I'm still looking for my style.