In the bleak midwinter

1. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Just beautiful outside right now.
  2. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey dusty, that was lovely. Super clear, clean tone and the tremolo was spot on...
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Words by Christina Rossetti, tune by Parry (if I remember correctly) and playing by Dustyamps. How can you go wrong?
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I thought this tune had it's own thread. I remember the tune being written by Holst, at any rate here's my version for mandolin, concertina, banjo and glockenspiel.

5. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice, both of you, especially for an "ice day" here in mid-Oklahoma today.
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice and wintery David... I love your choice of instruments for this tune. There's still no winter here in the Netherlands, again 14ºC (57ºF) and extremely warm and Sunny for late december. This helps me getting a snowy feeling that I miss a bit.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice David! The glockenspiel brings a Christmassy tone colour into the mix.

I recorded my mandolin quartet version a couple of weeks ago and uploaded to the generic Christmas thread. Here it is again in the tune-specific place:

Martin
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice versions from Dustyamps and Martin. Alas, David has taken his version off it seems.
    I recorded the version I found in Alison Stephens' e-book 65 Easy Tunes and added
    some tremolo for my little tremability workshop some months ago. Still got to work on my tremolo...
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Hey CC. I really enjoyed that. Your tremolo is good. I am actually not a fan of tremolo but you are slowly converting me. This song would be good for me when I go into hibernation about..oh, mid- December and poke my head out about May.
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Ginny!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice, CC, in fact so much so that I went to look for book 3 of Evelyn Tiffany-Castigioni’s, epic Saga https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...inter-s-Tale-3
    in the hope of finding an accompaniment part for your vid using the octave mando. I was sure the song was in there, but no!

And here in France we are roasting in the worst heat wave for a long time. The streets are deserted during the day and at night there are loud domestic discussions out in the sultry darkness. I’m learning so much about my neighbors.
    I still don’t miss winter -maybe next week I will.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Hi Atsunrise:

I've uploaded the parts I used for my 2016 recording here. They're from an arrangement for four viols by Albert Folop, originally posted at the Icking Archive and now at IMSLP. The two middle parts are fine for octave mandolin harmony.

Martin
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really appreciate it Martin, that helps a lot, thanks.
    I’m trying to figure out how to, in a sense, walk all over someone’s solo -but in the nicest possible way! Probably very difficult to do well, and in many cases not advisable. And I want to be able to do this harmonically by ear, later using written chord progressions as a guide. One of the many other possible uses of this will be playing a ukulele bass tuned in 5ths to help out a ukulele group.
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    You're welcome! With the uke bass you can also use the bass part from my arrangement if you're happy reading bass clef (or transcribe into octave treble clef).

CC: Well played! I wish I could play guitar as well as you as a good classical guitar backing makes these tracks so much classier. Not quite the right season, but may serve to cool everybody off...

Martin