Loar players role call

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. nordian
    nordian
    Just got the LM-700. Play simple bluegrass and gospel. Purchased from Robert Fear along with the CA bridge and setup. Very Pleased.
    Lennie Lowery
  2. Mike Arakelian
    Mike Arakelian
    Hey all...my name is Mike and I'm new to this group. I've been a guitar player for more years than I'll put in print here. I started thinking about playing the mandolin a few months ago simply because I love the sound. I shopped around on-line a lot as I didn't have much selection locally. I narrowed my choices down to The Loar and Kentucky and found a good deal on a new 220VS. I love it and find myself playing a couple of hours a day. The 220 was a great choice for my first mandolin as I didn't want to invest too much in case I didn't want to stick with it.....no chance. I'm only on it for a couple of weeks now and have found it really easy to adjust to the small fretboard and reverse string set-up. I've got my first jam coming up tomorrow night and can't wait.

Someone asked about straps. The Lakota straps are very nice. I found a Golden Gate strap at my local guitar store and love it. it's very good looking, light weight and costs about $39.00.

I like the comments I'm reading about the LM400. I can see one in my future not too far down the line.

Happy playing.....Mike
  3. Graing
    Graing
    Hi all, me too... I got my 520 VS on New Year's Eve and have played it every day since. Love it!

Craig
  4. James5v
    James5v
    I have a Loar LM 700 VS. I have had it for a while but just really began playing. I am also attempting to learn the Fiddle but think maybe I will be better off with the Mandolin. I also play guitar and bass and I play in several local bands mostly for charitable type gigs. I also play at Church.
  5. custer
    custer
    I oredered a LM-400 yesterday.
  6. pArispAl
    pArispAl
    hello from Paris. i purchased a second hand LM600VS, I love it though i think my Gibson A9 is much more easy to play and powerful. I guess the Loar needs a proper setup, which will be done when I receive my CA bridge.

Have a great day, The Loar people!
  7. Alan Lackey
    Alan Lackey
    Howdy...I have a LM-600VS that my wife surprised me with for Christmas as my first mandolin (and first stringed instrument). So, just starting to play obviously but love the sound of it and hopefully will make it sound better as I get better myself.
  8. Rissa
    Rissa
    Hey all! I'm a newbie here, just ordered an LM520vs from the Mandolin Store, and should get it Monday. This weekend is going to be a rough wait for sure. I started playing fiddle a couple months ago, but couldn't resist the draw of the mandolin. Since I'm still quite new at fiddle, I've been going to jams and playing my fiddle as a mandolin until I get some good tunes down good enough to play in public. It's been a great learning experience at any rate. Looking forward to playing an actual mando though. Ah! The excitement is enough to get me through this work week.
  9. bjewell
    bjewell
    Hi Gang,
    Just got the 400 today. It is bone stock, looks fine, HUGE neck and it's real shiny. Cannot wait to get home, change the strings and play it...
  10. Gene Summers
    Gene Summers
    After almost two years of playing my LM520VS, it still amazes me how good it sounds. I'm just an arm chair picker, but have really enjoyed this little mando!
  11. Samuel David Britton
    Samuel David Britton
    I play the LM-220.
  12. Dcarey
    Dcarey
    Name's Dan and I just bought an LM500-VS from my banjo instructor. I had my choice of this one and an equivalent Kentucky and The Loar won the playoff! Very early pre-production model, belonged to my instructors Dad.

13. Steve Gray
    Steve Gray
    HogMando here... Got my LM400 today!
  14. Perry Babasin
    Perry Babasin
    I was an owner of the original "The Loar" LM 500 (pressed top and back partially carved). I always liked the brand, fit and finish, so a few years and mandolins later, I picked up an LM 600 on ebay in need of some TLC and worked it over... I refinished it and love it
  15. Steve Zawacki
    Steve Zawacki
    According to UPS my 520 will be here on Friday. Got it from Folkmusician.com complete with case and setup (which really sealed the deal).
  16. Dcarey
    Dcarey
    Don't you just hate the wait?!
  17. Steve Zawacki
    Steve Zawacki
    Definitely. No matter how many times I check the UPS tracker, it just doesn't help....
  18. dreadhead
    dreadhead
    I've got an LM-600-VS that was made in January 2010.

19. CliffMac
    CliffMac
    Cliff here have a LM 520 VS, I was told a few months ago that I was going to be a mandolin player for a bluegrass band so here I am
  20. Richard J
    Richard J
    I bought an Loar LM-590 just over a year ago from the Homestead Pickin' Pallor in Richfield MN. and love it. Sorry, but it seems I can't add the picture.
  21. Stubs
    Stubs
    Stubs Kidd here,
    I play a LM-600vs, Bluegrass/Bluegrass Gospel, Bust a beginner have most all two, three, four and bared finger cords down and playable. Working on picking melodies. My problem is I have a locked index finger mid knuckle which does not allow me to curl that finger enough to hold the pic as suggested.
    A question I have is how important is this position of the pic in picking the melodies?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Now if I can learn enough songs and get brave enough to go Jam a little.
  22. Mustardman
    Mustardman
    Hey from Japan, everyone. Just picked up an LM-520vs and am loving it! The mando is such a cool instrument to learn... after years of playing guitar.
  23. WmBuoymaster
    WmBuoymaster
    Just moved into a Loar 370. Was learning on a Johnson and Stagg mandolins. I put the Loar on layaway a few days after I bought the Stagg on Amazon. Usually retailed at 399, I got it for 299. 2 months later and I was thrilled to get it out and start using it. Wow...what a difference!

This one should hold me for awhile but I do have my eye on another one maybe towards Christmas.

46 years old here. Drummer for most my life until neck surgery and back issues. Sold off 3 sets, all my live sound equipment and my 32 track studio. It's been 8 years without music and I've found an instrument I enjoy as much if not more than drums.

Soddy Daisy, Tn!
  24. Marjorie Carman
    Marjorie Carman
    Hello, I see this group has not had any replies for awhile but thought I would say that I just bought my first mandolin and it’s a Loar VS 520 love it! I bought the best I could afford for a beginner I wanted a Hand Carved top and Back and Sides I New that!
  25. FredK
    FredK
    Good choice. I bought a 520, too, about 2 years ago. It's a great first buy mandolin. Came perfectly set up with low action from TMS, a MC sponsor. It has a good sound and we'll built. Hoping to upgrade this year but will not give up the 520. I've seen other's here that like it as well.
  26. Marjorie Carman
    Marjorie Carman
    I love it! Just learning but I’m sure I’ll get it sooner or later! I already can pick a little faster! Ha!
  27. J Mangio
    J Mangio
    Ordered a LM 700 yesterday, should be here this week.
  28. J Mangio
    J Mangio
    It's here and It's fantastic.
  29. J Mangio
    J Mangio
    Got it from Robert Fear, Folkmusician, great service.
  30. jwsimpson
    jwsimpson
    Hi all! I'm late to the scene, just started learning mandolin in the past month. I just purchased a slightly used LM-110 Honey Creek A-Style. I'm really enjoying the learning process, and open to any feedback.
  31. J Mangio
    J Mangio
    Enjoy your journey jwsimpson.
  32. Panama_Red
    Panama_Red
    LM-700VS
    January 2020 manufacture.
    L R Baggs Radius pickup through L R Baggs Voiceprint DI.
    Zero Glide nut. Grover 309 tuners.
  33. J Mangio
    J Mangio
    Gotta love the 700 series.
  34. Monkshood
    Monkshood
    LM-600-BK (2017). I got it used from Music-go-round in 2020. My first mandolin. Luvin’ it and learning ever since.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12