Is the finish realy fake???

1. bjewell
    bjewell
    Just got a 400 this afternoon. It's waiting at home for me with its broken E string on the floor. Looks fine, FAT neck, real shiny thing. Is it true the "nitro" finish is just a top coat over a poly blob finish??? Jeez that's terrible. But they do sound good though, right?
  2. bjewell
    bjewell
    I know it's really -- that was just an eye test... ;- )
  3. Gene Summers
    Gene Summers
    Good question, My LM520VS has a poly gloss finish that is very durable. Not sure what other finish is underneath, but it has a wonderful sound after almost two years of playing. Very happy with it still. Happy pickin'
  4. Ben Milne
    Ben Milne
    Not sure how the finish could really be fake... It is however quite brittle, I had a moment where the edge of the body of my LM-700 came into contact with some tuning machines of another mando. It didn't dent at all, but chipped it two small spots.
  5. J Mangio
    J Mangio
    You could be right about Polly finish under nitro, The Loar site says nitro finish, who knows, your definitely right about the sound quality, I’ve owned an F9 and a
    KM 1000 for more than a few years, and they can’t touch my LM 700, had it for about a week, a little tweaking and it’s a cannon.