March of the King of Laois

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Collings MF...

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, that was wonderful. You'll have to tell us about this mandolin!

This tune must be on something in my CD rotation.... I'm going to learn it. You seem to be playing it in G (?)

Here is ABC from www.thesession.org, for the tune in D mixolydian

X: 1
    T: March Of The Kings Of Laois
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmix
    A2F A2D|A2F A2D|B2G A2F|G2F E>FG|
    A2F A2D|A2F A2d|B2d A>dG|F>dF E2D|F>ED G>FE|
    A3 A>GF|E>cG E>CE|G>cG E>CE|D>ED D>ED|D>ED D3:|
    |:B2G d2G|B>AG d2G|A2d A2d|F2d A>dA|
    B2d d>BA|G>FG E>FG|F>ED G>AB|A3 AGF|
    E>cG E>CE|G>cG E>CE|D>ED D>ED|D>ED D3:|
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    This is the second MF I've owned. It's loud and sweet. I really like it but I have to make a choice... It's probably better suited to Bluegrass as is my Dearstone , Kimble, and Eastman...
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune is on Roger Landes & Chipper Thompson's great CD, Janissary Stomp, you can hear it HERE on CD Baby
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I like that tune! A few weeks ago, I made this clip on my reso tenor, but I didn't upload it then as I wanted to have another go with a few decorations thrown in to liven it up a bit. As I never got around to do that, here is my old clip. I think it works better on mandolin than on tenor -- listening back to the clip it's too low and needs some ringing trebles -- and also could do with some triplets and pull-offs like in Eddie's version.

Martin
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Do any of ya'll have some chord suggestions for this tune?
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's the chords I Play:

D D (GD) C D D (GD) C (DG) D C C D D :ll

G G D D G C (DG) D C C D D:ll
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, thanks. Can you double check the B part? the G G D D works, but I can't get the next D C to sound right. The D doesn't sound right there... maybe a G?
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Sorry about that Barbara, it should have been a G not a D. I corrected the original post.
  11. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I ran across this - is it the same tune? And here I thought they only played the scrub board in Louisiana.
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Not dissimilar...
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine. The hardest part for me is remembering where I am. It should be 2 A's, 2 B's. But, they are LONG parts..... after I recorded this, I realized the second time through I played 3 A's, then 2 B's.... but am posting even though it's not right!

14. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice Barb. If I can get at least 1 A and 1 B then I'm happy... any extraneous A's or B's are gravy...
  15. mando_madman
    mando_madman
    A bumbling mando / bouzook player here who reads sheet music less than poorly. Does anyone have this version of the King of Laois tabbed out for Mando? Barb I'm dying to play this on my Petersen Octave Mando Level 2. I believe you have one of those. Seen it on you-tube. I'm one of your subscribers. Great Stuff!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    mando_madman, a couple of months ago, they started incorporating the tunes here in the other part of the forum, under tab/tabedit files. Here is the result for this tune. You'll need at least the free program, TefView, to read this program... here is a link to download that program.
  17. mando_madman
    mando_madman
    Barb, WOW! Thanks much for the information. Got it all going now. Very cool.
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Your welcome... we're anxious to hear/see you playing your Petersen OM. You are right, I'm a big fan of Bill Petersen's instruments... I have a mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, cittern & tenor guitar made by him!
  19. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another solo video recording from me today, reviving this "other" tune from many years ago.

This is a traditional Irish tune, which can be played as either a slow march or a quick march (as played earlier by Eddie and Barbara). This is the slow version, also known as "The Lament of Rory O'More" or "Rory of the Hills" (the latter is the title used for Dave Swarbrick's recording). A nice transcription is in the Kingston Irish Tune Book:

https://www.harpoftara.com/music.html

Recorded on solo mandocello, first unadorned then with added decorations and double stops. Apologies for the video quality: I was starting to lose daylight.

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello solo

Martin
  20. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I held a mandocello once, and it seemed unmanageably big. So either you are very tall, or this mandocello is smaller than the one I saw...

It suits the solo arrangement really well. I enjoyed seeing and hearing you play this extraordinary instrument.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another enjoyable performance, Martin.
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis and John.

Dennis: It's both -- I am quite tall (192cm/6'4") and this is an unusually short-scale mandocello. Scale length is 22.5", which is pretty much the same as my OM and about 2" shorter than a Gibson mandocello. As you can see in the video, this means I can (just about) play it in mandolin fingering rather than cello fingering, which makes life much easier.

Martin
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your mandocello looks great and you bring out an amazing sound with your playing, Martin.

Regarding the scale length it is just unfair that I have to deal with 26.18” on my bouzouki. I guess you have to deal with a set of thicker strings on your short mandocello.
  24. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I posted a video here many years ago and I took it down some time later but I have always intended to redo it. So here's my newly updated version. My gazouki takes the lead the 1st time through and the mandolin comes in for the 2nd round.

25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I knew there was a military career in store for you, Col. Hansen!
  26. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wow! You obviously just needed that drum to bring it all together. Fantastic arrangement!
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Admirable and functional hat David, Sir, and fitting arrangement. I can easily see a whole host of ghostly warriors marching for their freedom.
    I do have a hat that’s similiar, very warm though very rough-looking. I would never wear it in good company because people might think it means something other than: I like it because it keeps my head warm.
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is an interesting headless, fan-fretted bass you have there, David, a change from your usual upright one. I liked your hatless appearance along with Sue in your recent YT duo session!
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Forgot to say that I really like your rhythm, David. Just amazing!
    About the rhythm (and the hat) I don’t see them as being military.
    I seem to have read somewhere that this tune wasn’t for marching either.
    It seems to me to be a just-come-in-off-the-moors-in-the-blizzard-yes-I do-want-to warm-up-with-a-dance
    kind of tune.

Another amazing other performance, though I couldn’t find the thread for this one:
    https://youtu.be/chi5m4lqOCo
  30. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks all for the kind comments. The hat is fashioned after those worn in the tv show Outlander, they call it a Highlander tam but I suspect that it is a marketing ploy. At any rate it worked, I bought it.

John, I came to the double bass by way of the bass guitar which I started playing when I was 11. When I was in rock groups I used to play a Steinberger bass, the original headless bass. The Strandberg Boden is headless so you don't have to hold the neck up and the fanfret equalizes the string tension, very cool to play and lots of tonal options as well.

Simon, I have never played or marched in a military band but ironically my very first instrument I took lessons on in school was the snare drum. The snare drum was like riding a bike for me, I hadn't forgot a thing. I was thinking of posting "Diplodocus" here but since I wasn't playing any mando instruments, I thought it might be inappropriate.
  31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    As a long-time regular of the group, David, I think you are entitled to a bit of leeway in both instrument choice and headgear.
  32. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David, "Diplodocus" features a mandolin, that qualifies. You don't have to play it yourself.
  33. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Inappropriate?

The Song-A-Week Social Group
    -inappropriate is what we do!!!