Cadair Idris (Sweet Jenny Jones)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This tune was written as "Cader Idris" by the Welsh harpist John Parry, who an Eisteddfod prize for it in 1804. It was subsequently used as the air for a very popular English song of the early 19th century, "Sweet Jenny Jones", or The Maid Of Llangollen, and under that name is also played as a morris dance in the Cotswolds. "Cader Idris", now usually spelled "Cadair Idris", is a mountain in Snowdonia, near Dolgellau.

Being a North Walian myself (by residence, at least), I am using the Welsh name of the tune and play it more in the style of a Welsh harp air than a morris dance.

My recording on mandolin and tenor guitar is based on the version in Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook:

https://pghardy.net/concertina/tuneb...n_tunebook.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Really nice, one of your best in my opinion. The melody flows so beautifully and effortlessly that it creates the impression of music that's always been there, just waiting to be heard. The Song-a-Week group produces one great tune after another at the moment.

My only worry is that the current Song-a-Week may be getting overlooked among this influx of new music. I'm working on Ft. Smith Breakdown next, although I'll inevitably produce a slow and rather European version!
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your playing is excellent, Martin, and the pictures introduce another tempting hiking area to me.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Another tune well played Martin. Thanks.
    That looks a great place to hike too. I did look the name up (Cadair Idris) and legend has it that he who climbs the mountain and stays there over night either goes mad or becomes a poet!
    -rogue bear stories!

Frithjof, do you live in Wales then? -I’m not saying you’re mad or a poet!

[Spoiler alert: the drinking water up there perhaps has high levels of something... sulphur? I don’t know the geology of the area.]
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the nice comments!

Simon: Frithjof may not live in Wales, but I do -- Cadair Idris is about 50 miles south-east of where I live. Welsh roads being what they are, that would take me about 1.5 hours so I can't say that I've been doing any hillwalking there. I have very similar (and much less touristy) walking country on my doorstep in the Clwydian Range and Offa's Dyke Path. I go up there regularly and it's spectacular!

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon – that’s a misunderstanding.
    I live in the Leipzig Bay also known as Leipzig Basin or Saxon Lowland. My local mountain (and part of my regular running exercise) is the Fockeberg with an Elevation of 153.3 meters (503 ft)!!! Wow! It’s actually a pile of rubble left over from the bombing during World War II.
    My regular recreation during vacation is to hike a new valley in the European Alps and its surrounding summits (no free climbing). Because there are so many valleys left, I seldom discover other hiking areas. But I would like to do so … and when I see the pictures of a breathtaking view …
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh ok, I understand, those pictures in Wales are certainly spectacular.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here I was trying to post at 2 am.
    Yes Frithjof I like that area, I went to Hamburg for a while once.
    The Alps sounds fun. I very rarely go there, probably because my 15 year old daughter only wants to see family in the Uk on holidays.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Trying to consolidate all of those tunes that I half learned this last year and record them.

10. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Man - you guys are killing this Appalachian hillbilly with all these beautiful tunes! Every time I just about get one of them under my fingers, you go and post another new one, and I want to learn it!
    Martin and Simon - Really nice recordings guys - thank you.
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That's a nice one, Simon.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two more fine versions of a great tune, Martin and Simon. As others have been saying, the group is really productive just now - must be something in the air!
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, another great one! The only problem is that I run out of things to say! I'm impressed by the combination of productivity and faultless playing.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Is this in the 'Other Tunes' list?
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many thanks kind people! This really is a lovely tune.
    Is this in the 'Other Tunes' list?

From Frithjof:
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, Frithjof, and a great mountain hut!
  18. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Frithjof! Fitting footage, as well, as with the mountain image a tribute to the Cadair Idris mountain (although North Wales isn't quite as Alpine as your holidays).

I don't think the tune is in the "Other Tunes" index yet, which is why we ended up with two threads.

Martin