Week #198 ~ The Sleeping Tune (Gordon Duncan)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. laura809
    laura809
    I believe it is a 2003.
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice indeed, David. Zzzzz...
  3. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow David, that was a nice version! Very funny with all these sleeping animals
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Some really great versions of this tune -well done everyone. I found thge tune a bit soporific for my taste so I have tried to wake things up by a heavier approach.
    Caleb - I recorded the mandolin part into Audacity using a very cheap clip on microphone.This method works fine.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely interpretation, David. Great sound as usual.
  6. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I have been lurking on SAW for some time now. I am completely in awe of the musical abilities in the group. This tune has posts demonstrating an amazing variety of styles and interpretations and I find it is interesting to contemplate what denotes each style.

This tune was the impetus I needed to learn how to record, download and use Audacity, make videos, and more importantly try to 'compose' or 'arrange', however you word it, a decent multi-track tune. Timing was a bit of a hurdle until I succumbed to the metronome. I use my Eastman 515 mando, 50 year old asthmatic accordian, and 35 year old Yamaki guitar. I saved you the agony of my fiddle and recorder.

7. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    OK, the last hurdle, how do you post youtube videos? I read the 'read me' stuff but nothing appears as it is supposed to...

If I put the youtube URL into Google, Google can't find the video...?
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's an example of an embed code. You take the letters and numbers from your You Tube address and put them into the surrounding brackets equal sign, quotes, and whatnot. I put a space after the first bracket so it wouldn't post the video, but just remember there aren't supposed to be any spaces. Welcome and can't wait to hear your rendition.

[ youtube="ejZQ0rN4ISY"[/YOUTUBE]
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    This is what you want...

10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent work, Mr Fingers!
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Brilliant Eddie!
  12. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Thanks, Marcelyn, Eddie, and OS. I guess I stuck too much code in the wrong place...
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Luurtie, that wasn't Eddie, that was Woodenfingers, Eddie put the video up to help him out.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I think you can safely remove the "Wooden" from your signature and just become Mr Fingers! Well played and a really good effort at mixing the finished track. You say this is a first try, so I look forward to your next postings with pleasure. Just don't get too good too soon or I may have to fall out with you.
  15. cwboal
    cwboal
    I'm running quite behind on this, and have been too swamped at work to get up this down to my satisfaction. But this is a lovely tune and, although my playing comes no where close to the versions submitted so far, I really wanted to contribute on this one. I do want to say that I was especially inspired by Laura's beautiful version.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good effort there, CW, and a fine tone. The inlays on your instrument are interesting - what make is it?
  17. cwboal
    cwboal
    Thank you John; my OM was built by Herb Taylor. It is a far finer instrument than warrants my playing ability.
  18. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Great versions by everyone - especially the long-scalers, the multitrackers, and the tremolo-ers - which I think covers pretty much everyone! I was going to record this on my Shippey OM but I've had custody of a De Faoite mando with a nice sustain recently so here it is on that:

19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job, Mike. I wish we could see the mando, it sounds very cool.
  20. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Thanks OS - you can now see the mando in the SOTW Maid Behind The Bar I just added, also a few more if you click through to my Youtube channel, am trying to find a place for them here now.
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Mike.
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Although I think this is a great tune I was never really happy with my first attempt, hence it's disappearance, but I have recently revisited this tune. Played mostly on the concertina, I start the tune with the cittern playing melody before switching to backup. Maybe I won't be as critical with this one, we'll see.

23. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Just beautiful David. The instrumens you chose give the right atmosphere for this tune. I love it!
  24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Beautiful tune and a lovely arrangement!
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good David. Sounds exactly like Gordon Duncan wanted it this way. The processed photos of instruments is a new approach that also greatly enhances the mood of the piece.
    I watched this on your channel directly.

The embedded video here, however, refuses to start on me, and the reason is revealed in the page source where the link to the video reads "https://www.youtube.com/v/https://youtu.be/mclymkRF0WY" (should read https://www.youtube.com/v/mclymkRF0WY, i.e. something got duplicated upon entering the video URL. Maybe you can repair it?

The direct link to the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mclymkRF0WY

P.S. just saw that the embedded video is OK now.
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Seven years late - a personal record, but here goes our rendition, recorded in the new viral open-window style.

27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to see this one revived, Bertram. Fine job from Regina and you on this one.
    David, belated congratulations on your lovely version from 2017! Missed it first time round.
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice to see that one Bertram, warm and beautiful.
  29. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Wonderful, Bertram and Regina couldn't get any better.
  30. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great Octave mandolin-flute duet!
  31. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, just perfect. Your neighbours will have appreciated it.
  32. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Just beautiful, Regina and Bertram!
  33. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    That really sounds beautiful - thank you.
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thank you all, folks.
  35. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very beautiful Bertram and Regina.
  36. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    This is my version of this beautiful Air...

I hope John K excuses this backing track...
  37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Not only a very fine interpretation of the tune, but you managed to post it in the right thread, something I did not manage, Jairo!

The piano backing track is really goo. Where did you get this one? You regularly manage to dig up those great backing tracks.
  38. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Wunderbar!
  39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Majestique Jairo!
  40. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    John, I put it here not for reasons of order, but so as not to disturb your post...

Well, thanks for all the positive comments, I thought this version was going to put everyone to sleep...
  41. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    JOHN KELLY’S BEAUTIFUL CONTRIBUTION:

https://youtu.be/2QiJN2m3EWk?feature=shared
  42. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Simon, and the ABC?
  43. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Lovely, Jairo. And I notice you are keeping your excellent backing tracks a secret.
  44. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jairo, I posted the link to the standard notation I used (with chords) on the other thread I started. I don't use .abc format but maybe you can convert my pdf if you need to.
    Simon, thanks for adding my offering to this thread.
  45. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    John K, Richard: I really don't know where many of my backing tracks come from...the reason is very simple, since I don't play accompaniment instruments, I have accumulated them over the years and I turn to them when I need them and I have lost track...many come from musescore, from countless sites...
  46. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    John, it was a joke for Simon, I don't use ABCs...
  47. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Lovely versions by everyone in this thread. I hope mine can put you all to sleep! Thanks for the Listen!
  48. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Beautiful, Frank. I love the way you have stripped the tune right back. It didn't put me to sleep, though. Not at all.
  49. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Just perfect, Frank!
  50. Bren
    Bren
    Lovely versions all!
    I normally sit this one out in sessions because I'm mesmerized by the fiddles and can't see what a mandolin would add but I'm having to rethink that now.

If you haven't heard Tony McManus and Tommy Emmanuel playing The Sleeping Tune, check it out:
    https://youtu.be/BnhgwNbrMtU?si=q5IHLlk0cyHnEVWv

That also made me re-think it.

Excuse me if I drop this anecdote:
    I was unaware that Tony had produced Gordon's last album.
    In fact I knew of Tony McManus , but not much about him. (Even though he's at the top of this thread!)

But I ended up having a few beers with him last year at a festival in Australia.

Naively, at one point I expressed my frustration about when I joined a ceilidh band 20 years ago and had to quickly work out how to play "Pressed for time" on the tenor banjo, then found out the original Gordon Duncan recording actually had banjo on it. (Playing a sort of "Bo Diddley" beat).

Tony explained how he had actually produced that record and when Gordon said he wanted banjo on the track, tony asked him who he wanted and he says, "Gerry O'Connor" and somehow they got Gerry across from Ireland to play on it. He also had many other stories about Gordon Duncan some of which you can find on YouTube. Me and my big mouth, but maybe I'd not have heard that story otherwise.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast