Bisonpolska

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I'm stuck in a rut with Swedish tunes.This tune is like nothing I've played before and It has really taught me a lot about playing music in general and about all my bad habits and inconsistencies. I've been working on this one for weeks and it's not perfect but hopefully you get the gist. Written by Olov Johansson of the Swedish group Väsen.

Here are the abc's:
    X: 1
    T: Bisonpolska
    R: Polska
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Amin
    |:EA c2 B>A|BG G3G-|GB dd BB|c2 ed/c/ dB|cA E3E-|
    EA c2 B>A|BG G3G-|GB dd BB|c2 ed/c/ dB|1 cA A4|:2 cA A3E||-
    K:Ador
    |:EA c2 eg |f2 fe/d/ e2- |eg fd/f/ ag/f/ |ge c2 eg |
    f2 fe1/2d1/2 e2-|eg fe1/2d1/2 ec |AE =F2 Ac |BG G3G- |
    GB dd BB |c2 ed/c1/2 dB |1 cA A3(E :|2 cA A4|]
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks David, lovely melody and rhythm, well played. Those parts with the hesitation sound like a lot of fun to play. Not sure what you mean by perfect though. It seemed reasonably perfect to me. The colours of the images too.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is one of your best David ! (as are the hundreds you have done) but there is something about this one that is beyond the pale. It's incredibly played and synchronized. The melody is un-like anything I have heard. so...Holy Cow ! Heading back to YT to watch it a few times. Or more.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The name alone had me look at this - mixing America and Eastern Europe in a Swedish tune is, well...global.
    And as with many Scandinavian tunes I'm having a hard time getting the rhythm. My theory is that the church said groove is a device of the devil, so they are breaking it into little pieces. I'm also having a hard time finding any flaws - you'll have to point them out to me. Any more perfection would break the second law of thermodynamics.

Oh, and did they bring a truck to lift that bass off your broken ribs?
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thank you, David.
    Of course, not perfect but we got the gist. I would estimate generously if anyone of my fellow SAW members would be so kind to play this tune perfect for us!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting timing and phrasing, indeed, David. I really liked the drone you introduced with the bowed bass.
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    What a wonderful tune and performance, David. Thanks! Inspiring.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I thought it was called a stand-up bass for a reason.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks for all the encouraging comments it was a difficult tune for me to learn but very rewarding to have done so. The hardest part for me were the ties from one measure to the next, my first instrument was the bass and I am a dyed in the wool, gotta hit that downbeat kind of guy. I knew Bertram would comment on the bass, I was surprised that Ginny did. The reason I am playing the bass sitting down is because when I stood up the top of me was not in the shot and looked kinda weird, probably not as weird as trying to play sitting down, oh well, live and learn.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks again David, I can’t stop listening to this one!
    The guitar at the beginning setting up the tension -excellent.
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was step one in my plan, Simon, get them to listen to it a lot and then step two, get them to play it. Step three is post a video, I'll look forward to yours.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is above my skill level, but I'm enjoying the stereo effects in the recording! Sometimes it really pays to get earphones out when visiting this group.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I see you have uncovered my little trick, I mic all the instruments in stereo with a pair of Neumann KM 184 microphones. When I mix the audio I pan half of the tracks to the right and half to the left to get good separation in the mix. The concertina is essentially a stereo instrument, half of the notes sound on the left and half sound on the right so you can really hear the stereo on that one.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’m going to try this soon, the rhythm is really complicated, I rewrote bits of the .abc file into something quite non-standard just to try to get my head around it!
    Thanks again.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It really works, your trick. When I recorded the Bear Dance, I panned the whistle gradually from one side to the other, like a marching band. I don't think anyone noticed because the other instruments all stayed in the centre. But it was fun to mix!