Andet Brudestykke

1. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    This is a Danish tune I have recently listened here
    I played an Eastman 504 Mandolin, a Yamaha Melodica, and a Bass.

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great find and well played. The melodica sound adds something.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a very good production! The instruments go so well with each other. It's a nice tune, too. Perhaps a candidate for a future song of the week?
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely tune, well played, I really like the melodica, and it’s actually quite a hard tune to learn with all that rubato in the first version, well done!
    Andet Brudestykke apparently means ‘the bridal suite’.

-and thanks John, ‘rubato’ is my word of the week, means stolen time ie. The fiddler speeds up and slows down all over the place while the guitarist tries to patch up. -ah, newly weds!
    Will try to catch up viewing vids this weekend. Thanks guys.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nicely played and arranged - thanks!

Notation for this tune is at my favourite Nordic folk site, spillefolk.dk, at:

https://spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/pd...f?t=1450272737

Martin
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played and arranged and what a cool tune. I have been learning Danish while in quarantine and now I can learn a Danish tune as well, thanks to Martin for the link. Oh and I do like the melodica, I think it adds a lot.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'll also try to learn this tune because it's such a great melody! Unfortunately, my to-learn list is already very full, so it will take a long time.

David, respect for learning Danish! I think this one may be the second Danish tune in the SAW group because I posted one about a year ago now, paired with the Bransle de Cheveaux: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...024&do=discuss

I still don't remember the Danish title of that tune because I don't speak Danish. Andreas from the Basco band mentioned it while teaching us the tune, but it's gone from my mind.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    We also have this Danish schottische:

40 somre

It's one of my favourite tunes, and one we play in this arrangement all the time in our weekly mandolin gatherings. I'll try to re-record, as my old recording is now a bit long in the tooth.

Martin

Edit: and a couple more Danish tunes in the SAW Group which I had forgotten about:

Kolde Vals and Klinke Vals
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Ah, hidden gems!
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very nice! A favorite for the tune of the week.
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    What a great tune, I had a lot of fun playing this one. My first Danish tune would make my ancestors smile. My great grandparents on my father's side met on a boat coming to America.

12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Smashing performance, David! It's such a great tune that this has become one of my favourite David Hansen videos instantly. And you have lots of excellent ones!
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Another great performance indeed, David. It was fun to listen to your recording.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very catchy wee tune, Pierpaolo, and a fine choice of instruments.
    Your usual very fine performance, David.
    It is one of those tunes where the repetitive nature of it gets so quickly into the head that it almost becomes an earworm. I have it lodged in my head right now!
  15. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Great! I was waiting for your version.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Great tune both from Pierpaolo and David. I enjoy watching David gettin' into the groove while playing, it lightens my heart.
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice foot tapping on this one David.

John I felt the same, it’s a beautiful melody that almost goes into harmony, flirts with the major seventh, doesn’t really resolve with the fifth at the end of the first part, as with the second part and there’s the tonic coda that tries to do something about it... and then it goes back again into the first part.
    I’ve been to marriages like that.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a good one, Simon.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Great fun, Pierpaolo and David, thanks for that. If only Susi was here to hear it.