N'oublies pas (French waltz)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a very obscure French waltz which I found in a collection of ABC trancriptions of French accordion waltzes that I downloaded about 15 years ago. It's credited to "R. Robert" and a studio recording from 1995 on the album "Goût d'hier" by Hilde Gierard (accordion) and Wolfram Zimmermann (guitar). There is an accordion tab transcription here (clearly based on the same ABC that I learned the tune from):

https://p0.storage.canalblog.com/06/...8/62788398.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
    [Apologies for the poor video quality. My webcam doesn't cope well with artificial light.]
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's French and it's a waltz, so it always had a good chance of being nice! This tune has a lot of personality. I like it, and I like your precise but expressive playing of it.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice and steady Martin, thanks.
    Seeing the diatonic tab reminds me that it’s so much easier, though still difficult, to learn to read music notation first rather than TAB, then memorise each button/push or pull one at a time -I tried to learn with TAB and by ear, you get more immediate results, but it’s limited.
  4. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Wonderful recording Martin, I really like guitar and mandolin combo.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis, Simon and Pierpaolo.

Although I had the printout of this tunebook for 15 years (there's a date stamp of 31/3/2005 on the page), I had never played this tune until I was idly leafing through the collection yesterday evening and thought this one is really nice. So, it's a spur of the moment recording -- from discovery to recording in about an hour or so. Hence the poor lighting conditions. I normally try to record in daylight.

Martin