X:1
    T:London Hornpipe
    N:Mandolin Self Help Group
    Q:130
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    R:Hornpipe
    K:G
    B>c |: "G"d>g f>e d>c B>A | "G"G>B D>G B2 A>G | "D"F>A D>F A2 G>F | "G"G>D E>F G>A B>c |
    "G"d>g f>e d>c B>A | "G"G>B D>G B2 A>G | "Am"F>G A>B "D7"c>d e>f |1 "G"g2 g/g/g g2 B>c :|2 "G"g2 g/g/g g2 A>G ||
    |: "D"F>A D>F A2 G>F | "G"G>B d>G B2 A>G | "D"F>A D>F A2 G>F | "G"G>D E>F G>A B>c |
    "G"d>g f>e d>c B>A | "G"G>B D>G B2 A>G | "Am"F>G A>B "D7"c>d e>f |1 "G"g2 g/g/g g2 A>G :|2 g2 g/g/g g4 ||

2. Eddie Sheehy
    A very pleasant tune and nicely played Tosh.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely stuff Tosh!
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice presentation, Tosh, the melody and the images work well together. Thanks!
  5. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Thanks Tosh for yet another hornpipe I need to learn. Great playing. I really enjoyed your London video. I was there 40 years ago. Good times.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing and video here, Tosh. Was down in London about 2 months ago and spent some time in Denmark Street going around all the music shops which were the dreams of my teenage years!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Happy tune, optimistically played, and pictures of a sunny London (how long did you have to wait for that, Tosh? ) reminding me of the several occasions I have been there. You forgot to include my favourite place, though - the HMS Belfast.
  8. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    Nice playing Tosh, but too many reminders of what I used to do there: work!

John
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Many thanks for your kind words guys, I had a lot of fun making that. Bertram, you are quite right, here it is just for you.......should have used it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toshpics/5547347435

John....you still have to work in London !!!!
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for that Tosh, that's exactly what I had in mind.
    I think many people viewing the ship from that angle imagine the helmsman behind those bridge windows, stoically holding his wheel, gazing at the horizon... and they are oh-so-wrong. That bridge is almost empty except for some communication and signalling devices, because it was a far too exposed and dangerous place for the helmsman to stand. Instead, he, his wheel and the compass were in a small room below the waterline so the ship would keep holding course even if the bridge was hit. In the next room was the artillery target control computer, an analogous machine operated by the music band of the ship - but none of them played a mandolin, I'm afraid. (check to myself: mando content saved )
  11. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Bertram, I am ashamed to admit to never having been aboard HMS Belfast, so I'll make it my duty to right this wrong this summer and take some pics. It's funny, when something is on your doorstep, you think I can do that anytime! But you don't!!!!! Thanks for the interesting insight into the history......
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well, Tosh, I have to admit that I did not learn all that from visiting the HMS Belfast alone. As a boy, I read this book describing life on exactly that class of warship, and I remembered it all when boarding the real thing.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bertram, you are fast becoming our very own mini-Wikipedia! I look forward to you latest nuggets with increasing delight as you cover such an eclectic spectrum of topics. Keep it up, my man!
  14. dcdan
    dcdan
    Really nice tone and clean playing. It fits so well with the video it looks like the beginning of an old movie ...you know when they used to start with some nice scenery and a pleasant melody
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is my offering of the tune, inspired by Tosh in the first place. Played on tenor banjo, octave and guitar with one of those wee chicken shaker rattles for the rhythm.

My fellow band members both said they knew the tune as "The Navvy" (shortened form of navigator, as in Irish labourer who built the canals and worked on all the big civil engineering schemes all over the world!)

http://soundcloud.com/user9128887/london-hornpipe#play
  16. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic John, a lovely authentic sound and lively feel. It does sound Irish in origin and as there were a lot of Navvies in London, I presume that is where it came from.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That oom-pah accompaniment gives it the right feeling, John. You should try a tuba. Hobbits dancing round the maypole. Would fit with the paintings of Swedish artist Bert Häverö, such as this one:

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John, that was perfect!
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff John, really enjoyed hearing the mandolin/tenor banjo combo!
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's my rendition. This is after working yesterday on changing up my right hand and arm. My fingers are less curled in toward my palm, and I'm trying hard to play mostly from my wrist, and keep my arm less tense. Can you tell?

I made this a medley of London Hornpipe (G) / Corn Rigs (D) / London Hornpipe (G). The London Hornpipe is pretty much as above, my Corn Rigs is out of a great book I have entitled New England Fiddler's Repertoire.

I multitracked this in GarageBand, with melody on my mandolin & tenor banjo, and a couple of rhythm tracks on my mandolin & my octave mandolin. I decided to play around with some options in iMovie... old film filter & picture in a picture.

21. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Barbara - That was (as the kids would say) way cool. All the instruments in your band were right on. Your PIP was super. And thanks for playing at tempo I can appreciate.
  22. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Outtasight Barbara! Fantastic playing and vid......
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Oooh Barb, a sync-ed concert in and outside the Matrix, breaking the rules of reality, sounding so nice and pastoral!

Now all you need to do is shaking hands with your alter ego...
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Remembered that this was a Tune-of-the-week away back in March 2011, and was enjoying the performance by Barbara with the GarageBand multitracking and clever video effects.
    I have just updated my original soundcloud version, replacing the banjo with mandolin for a change and adding pictures from a wee trip to The Big Smoke last June, when I happened across the Queen's Birthday bash at one point in the day. I believe it is officially known as Trooping The Colour!

25. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    This goes out to Tosh. I learned this when he posted it years ago and I still play this cheerful tune. I'm a long way from London but some of these pictures are of the English garden in my area.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Also known as Navvie on the Line, I played this more as a reel... ooops!

27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It does sound more like a reel that way, but I love your tone and fluency as usual!
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting version, Simon. As you say, a reel replacing a hornpipe, but hey, it is a fine performance as usual!
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    A Hornpipe played as a Reel is often good enough, but I think I made the rhythm on this one sound like lumpy porridge!