Wagon Wheel

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Anyone got a pretty tab for the intro and breaks a la Old Crow Medicine Show?

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sorry, I’m a bit late with this one, hope this helps!

AND sorry about the sync on this, will update a better version of it tomorrow...

3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    It amazes me whenever someone from the group actually speaks. It is usually not the voice I had in my head..but actually Simon, yours is. Perhaps I've heard it a bit before. Am I wrong..it sounds British but you're living in France..is that right?.............how can I put a thumbs up and a lovely comment when you haven't posted it yet. Ok, I'll wait.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No it’s not my voice Ginny, I use a phony accent for the mandolin vids. I don’t even speak English.
  5. Brian560
    Brian560
    Thanks Simon, its nice to see a slowed down instructional video
  6. Bren
    Bren
    Last year at Stonehaven folk festival, last night, Sunday night, about midnight, I was sitting in an empty bar picking a quiet tune, thinking of going home, when the bar staff asked me to keep playing until the musicians from the farewell concert came back. (to the hotel which was official festival residence).

This I reluctantly and bashfully did, at first, but then more enthusiastically when bribed by complimentary drinks.

Then the musicians came in, and the staff , who'd been looking after them during the festival, prevailed on them to play Wagon Wheel, and they graciously agreed. I mean, it's not unusual for musicians to snarl at this request.

What followed was epic, as musicians (Aaron Jones out of Old Blind Dogs, fluter Steph Geremiah, Orkney band Gnoss and various other local and festival worthies ... and me) proceeded to play the best pub session Wagon Wheel you ever heard. Open-hearted, without reluctance or irony. What a session it was.

I don't know if anyone recorded it, but here's Aaron and Steph in another context to give you an idea of the calibre of musician involved:

7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    You’re welcome Brian, it’s actually a lot of fun sharing it, and a good exercise.
    It’s been quite a popular song to say the least, and with lots of requests, always get people in the mood.

My daughter’s starting to pick up the fiddle now so there was an added incentive to record this!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bren, thanks for posting this session video. Great example of a group really together in their playing.
  9. Bren
    Bren
    John, I had been chatting to Aaron when he came in, with no idea who he was at the time, but I can tell you he's a really good singer , a fine fellow and actually seemed to know the words of Wagon Wheel which Not a Lot of folkies will admit to.

FWIW, during the song, I played a crosspicking backing pattern in attempted 5-string banjo emulation while enjoying all these fine musicians letting rip on the old chestnut.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bren, I met Aaron a couple of times at Alistair McCulloch workshops here in Dunoon. The trio comprises Alistair, Aaron and Marc Duff. On the Friday evening of his workshop weekends we had great sessions in the local pub which until lockdown was our regular Thursday haven for a few tunes. We had the use of the back room as Martin, the landlord, plays fiddle and mandolin. Alas, he has just given up the tenancy of the pub from the start of this month, so we are at present homeless!
    All three of the musicians were very friendly and encouraging to all who came along to the sessions (fiddlers were predominant as Alistair is of course a fiddler) and we had a couple of really good evenings.