Tune Input Needed for Next Poll (weeks #19 - #22)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hi ya'll! I am going to use the current poll for two more weeks (weeks #17 & #18). Mike Romkey will announce the tunes for me this Friday, Aug 21, and next Friday, August 28, so if you haven't voted yet in this current poll, please do!

I'd like input from ya'll for the next poll. Please list the name and genre of the tune. When I get near a computer sometime toward the end of the month, I will make a new poll for the next bunch of tunes!

Thanks!
  2. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Wayfaring Stranger ~ Bluegrass, Folk, Old time.
  3. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Santa Lucia ~ Not sure what the genre is... Old Italian music?
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Cherokee Shuffle. Seems very popular on the bluegrass stage these days.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks, guys! Keep em coming!
  6. jamann
    jamann
    More bluegrass as always. Evening Prayer Blues, True Life Blues, Waltz In The Bluegrass, Cheyenne, Baltimore Johnny, Boston Boy, Big Mon, Pike County Breakdown, Monroe's Hornpipe, Roanoke, Wayfaring Stranger, I'm Working On A Building, New Camptown Races, Old Dangerfield, Paddy On The Turnpike, Temperance Reel, Walls Of Time, Whiskey Before Breakfast.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jamann, that's input overload! Which two of those would you like to 'nominate' for the next poll?
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Chris, Santa Lucia and Wayfaring Stranger already have threads...
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    I'd like to add Red Wing (OT BG), The Rights of Man (IT), Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap(OT/IT), Greencastle Hornpipe (OT/IT), Pig Ankle Rag (OT/Swing)
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie brought up the fact that some of the tunes that have been mentioned for the official tune of the week, have already been submitted as 'other' tunes. I had originally felt that once a tune was submitted as an 'other' tune, we shouldn't duplicate it as an official tune, as I thought that would clutter things up. However, it seems that more people jump on the bandwagon (or tunewagon!) on the official tunes, than the 'other' tunes. So, maybe we could accept tunes already submitted as 'other tunes' for the 'official tunes' and link to the previous submissions.... what do ya'll think?
  11. jamann
    jamann
    Sorry for the overload! Ok how about True Life Blues and Cheyenne. A couple of great Monroe tunes!
  12. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Off the top of the head.....How 'bout Goldrush (Monroe/ BG) or Old Dangerfield
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    That's a good idea Barb, unless the "other" tune posts could be moved in to the "official" tune.... or just add " Tune for Week nn" to the title of the "other" tune and bump it...
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, if and when the time comes that we have a duplicate tune for the official tune, I'll figure something out!
  15. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    I'm going to suggest a genre that doesn't get much attention - swing. I don't have specific tunes in mind ' cuz I don't know any, which is why I'm suggesting it...
  16. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    How about St. Anne's Reel and Flowers of Edinburgh?
  17. wallygator
    wallygator
    Is "Take 5" swing? Not sure who it's by. Fun song though.
  18. Eddie Sheehy
    Take Five is jazz - Dave Brubeck. Great tune. The first million-selling jazz single...
  19. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Swing brings to mind Benny Goodman and Count Basie as well as others.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Maybe he means Western Swing, like Bob Wills kind of thing - is that it CD?
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    Western Swing is where you git a posse an' a rope....
  22. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    'Tis true, could be Western Swing.
  23. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    I'm not sure what I mean. I don't think I mean Western Swing (aka Texas Swing?), but that would also be fun. Jazz would also work for me. I think I just want something a little different. Just my $0.02...
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Reading this thread, and the term 'western swing', all of a sudden this tune started running through my head. I had a moment, and my camera, so I made this quick video.... who recognizes it?

25. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Yeah, Take 5 would be an awesome tune to learn!
  26. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Sounds a bit like "Don't Fence Me In," but there's something of a Tin Pan Alley sound that makes me think it might be some other tune.
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe, no that's not it.... but I think you are in the right age group to recognize the tune..... any more guesses?
  28. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    How 'bout 'Ragtime Cowboy Joe?'

29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You got it!
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, ya'll, I'm heading out the door, and will be mostly out of touch for a couple of weeks! Mike is going to announce the tunes of the week this Friday, and next Friday.... ya'll have fun pickin'~
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm up for Take Five.
  32. wallygator
    wallygator
    I'd like to give take 5 a go also
  33. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    How about something off the Celtic & bluegrass trails, like:

"Magic Foot" -- A great contemporary mando tune by Russ Barenburg; ABC available.

"Nuages" -- It's about time we did a gypsy jazz tune! Django rules.

"EMD" -- It's about time we did a Grisman tune!
  34. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    I second the nominations of EMD, Evening Prayer Blues, Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap.
  35. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    i second Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap.

If you can play Red Haired Boy, Campbell's should be quite reachable.

Does anyone know John Brown's March? That's m' suggestion.