The Flowers of Edinburgh - for my Dad's 99th Birthday

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Today my Dad is 99 years old. I have brought him some Flowers from Edinburgh.
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really well played Ginny, smooth and fluid, best yet!
    Regards to your Dad.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Ginny. It is good to hear this tune played other than in its usual reel tempo, and your version with Emory's backing brings out the melody rather well. Another thing we share, I remember, is the Cameron name. My maternal granny was a Gaelic-speaking Cameron and your dad is, I believe, a Cameron. Wish him a happy birthday from Scotland.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you Simon and John..also for your YT comments....yes, John , I remember your Granny Cameron. I think our clan beat up yours didn't we? I didn't know it had another tempo - yikes..I just played it the way it felt to me. I am taking my tablet down to show him tomorrow - and will say hellos to him.
  5. Brian560
    Brian560
    Well played Ginny. Smoothly played as Simon says. I do enjoy the melody and arrangement. I don't know what the reel tempo is, but I thought this was perfect. Happy Birthday to your father.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Loving and optimistical rendition that has a resilient stride to it, Ginny, exactly what old folks need who make it to 99.
    At the time of the clansmen, however, everybody beat up everybody else at one time or other, I'm afraid
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    At the time of the clansmen everybody loved each other at one time or another, too.
    -and it is a lovely tune, well played Ginny.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    So basically is was all like Outlander, back then?
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I assume that though Shakespeare's Macbeth is not authentic regarding the real Macbeth, it is perfectly authentic regarding the etiquette among Scottish gentry at the time. In my mind, I like to transplant Capone's Chicago 700 years back, replacing Thompsons with swords and Fedora hats with kilts.

But you can't do the transplanting by running into standing stones. I tried every single one at the Ring of Brodgar, and I am still here.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What’s Outlander? Sounds like a brand of walking boots or camping equipment, or a sailing term?
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    It is a fantasy/romance/historical TV series developed from the novels of the author Diana Galbadon, who wrote the first one as an experiment. In her own words:
    The Outlander series started by accident in the late 1980s when I decided to write a novel for practice. My goals were:To learn what it took to write a novel.
    To decide whether I really wanted to do that for real.

It involves time travel via passing through a circle of standing stones and has some incidents from Scottish clan history, such as the Jacobite rising of 1745 (mentioned recently in other threads here), and it probably does as much in its accurate portrayal of Scotland's past as the infamous Mel Gibson portraying William Wallace in the Braveheart film! It was a highly popular TV creation, beginning in 2014 and ran to five series, the last being as recent as February 2020, I believe. A very popular series with a very wide audience who thrilled to the romance, characters and outstanding Scottish scenery. The Skye Boat Song became a rejuvenated hit as it was adopted as the opening music for the original 2014 series.
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice tempo, mandolin sound and pictures, Ginny!
    Best wishes to your dad!
  13. bbcee
    bbcee
    All of the above, Ginny! Love the tempo and confidence, and your videos are always worth watching. Best wishes to your dad!
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, I’ve actually started watching it. Fine costumes and convincing atmosphere.
  15. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Fine playing and video. What a lovely birthday present for your father.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Happy birthday, Ginny's dad!

This is such a nice tune. The bit in the B part that works its way up to the two high Es is very moving. I did try to learn this melody at one point, but it fell victim to my reel phobia, which I'm only just now getting round to repairing.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you. I had a visit with my dad on the weekend. It's pretty hard to celebrate a birthday during a restricted Covid visit, but I am grateful I was able to be there. I played this tune for him and told him it was for his birthday...still not sure he knew what I was talking about. At 99 - things are like that.