Week #23 ~ Red Wing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Thanks Marcelyn and Manford. I woke up Saturday morning thinking of that tune and we goofed around with it all day since the weather was kind of bad out here. I think the speed for Redwing just as a performance ought to be right in here, although I guess if you wanted to make it a dance tune you would need about 120bpm out of it. Still, that's where it felt natural.
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Couldn’t wait till later in the week to learn the bodhran part of this tune so I just went and bought iRealPro, this is what it sounds like...

https://youtu.be/qYNVLUCiiVs
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice playing, Simon. iRealPro is a great tool.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, it sounds ok. They have lots of jazz songs, still searching there for a stash of Irish or Oldtime tune tabs though. Will let you know.
    They have a Blues sounds option, an acoustic drum, acoustic guitar option would be sweet.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I've just learnt what this melody is called. I've known it for a long time. Congratulations also on the archaeological find of this 2013 thread! That's what the search function is for, eh?

Well played as usual! I'm also frustrated by the jazz inflection of iReal Pro. For what I need, Chordbot is usually sufficient.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I was wondering if iRealPro don’t want to add a nice acoustic bodhran folk, or user programable option because it would give to the users songs that are too close to the original songs and thereby expose themselves to the copyright lawyers.
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like the tune and thought Simon had played the bodhran. It sounds good, so whatever works, go for it.
  8. bbcee
    bbcee
    Isn't this just the happiest of melodies? Well-played as always, Simon.

Have you tried the Bluegrass band setting (under "Pop", for some reason)? That's one I default to quite a bit, and usually decrease the banjolike instrument drastically. It's a pretty straight feel, but it works for me. You can change any song to use any of the "bands".
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny and Bbcee,
    I first heard this tune while watching the ‘49ers playing at the stadium in San Francisco. I think they accelerated the tune up over the tannoy system, everyone singing, ‘la, la, la, la... la!’
    I found that Bluegrass setting, I might end up just exporting two different backing tracks with say the bass on one and another instrument, a drum on the other in order to adjust them individually. It’ll be a mix of two genres but should sound like something.
    Or, ok, maybe I could just use the bodhran, Ginny

One thing I like about this app is you can play bass lines and sort of learn them as a tune, add arpeggios. (Running through a C chord measure, it’s probably going to be C, E or G notes). Good practice.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds great with the backing track Simon!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12