Play More English: Playford Tunes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha thanks for keeping to the subject Frithjof.

-so this is what happens if you go for a long Sunday run,
    then do a crazy amount of weight training,
    and then think, ‘I am sooo lazy, I MUST RECORD SOMETHING NOW!’
    then do a one take vid of an almost random tune that you find in the overflowing TUNES TO DO! folder.
    Then stick a computer backing track on top to cover up the worst bits.
    Then think, I have to post this without reflection!
    Then think, ‘oh no! what have I done?!’

Playford never sounded so good!
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's a lot of fun, and well played!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Your life seems to get more and more complex and convoluted, Simon, yet you still produce such well-played tunes on that octave.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like the change up - it took me by surprise. Great playing, Simon. I don't hear any mechanical sounds...but I am curious as it what that square thing in your shorts is. And thank you for the blue towel. It's my favourite.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents and Lady, I actually give a lot more care to my practice routine, unfortunately for me there’s very little talent, it’s mainly just long hours.
    And that square object in my shorts is a wallet, not as some would imagine a big container for my meds!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Published by John Johnson, London 1758, maybe by Playford too, maybe not.
    Needs it’s own ‘Play More English’ thread?
    Here are the notes, it’s from the eighth edition:
    https://www.village-music-project.org.uk/?page_id=789

No idea who Glanville was, maybe an English (French) Lord? Nor what he was famous or infamous for.
    The tune has an interesting turn at the end of the A part and a tonal change for the B part, to my ears it sounds a bit French.

Robert Henley of Glanville, Major of Lyme Regis, south coast of England died 2 Sept 1758, the tune being published in 1758, maybe it was his tune, though Glanvill is also a very common name in Devon and Cornwall.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon, good playing of the tune.
    And many thanks for this great find! The village music project is a real treasure.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Wow, Simon, I really like this one. Nicely played and a good choice of tunes.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Crazy and lovely as always, Simon. Apparently, there is a lot I missed out on. That wallet seems to double as a toneguard, keeping your OM away from the body (I always position the giant keyring in my right pocket to do that job).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12