Rose Amang The Heather (Lad Wi' The Plaidie)

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A favourite old Scottish Strathspey, known by loads of other names in different parts of the world and found in collections such as Peter Milne's collection and Kerr's Merry Melodies back into the mid 19th Century.

I have played my version on mandolin and octave with a guitar and mandolin backing, the mandolin providing high chords. The melody was recorded first then the backing tracks dubbed on in REAPER. I rendered the final mix to mp3 and then played this back while filming the entire track on mandolin then a second take on octave, cutting and pasting to get the finished product. I have not worked out how to get good split screen effects yet!

So good to have this outlet at the moment when we cannot get playing live with our usual colleagues. Here's to the time when we can get live playing going again.

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The disadvantage of a live music comeback, though, will be that this group will become less active and Barbara will wonder whether we have enough submissions to keep going. The music posted here has been one of the positive side-effects of all the rubbish that's been going on.

Very well played! I admire players who can pull off those melodic triplets without putting a finger wrong.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That is a happy tune, John. Your great playing gives us an idea why it is well known for such a such a long time and in so many areas of the world.
    Your video should find its way to my favorite list on YouTube.
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    brilliant John, really enjoyed that
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice John. Good job. I’m going to try to learn this.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hey, even the camera seems to be hopping along with this innocent tune (I've never heard of earthquakes by the banks of the Clyde, anyway). And it is a good tune to remind us there is a better time ahead, somewhere over the rainbows.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    ‘The disadvantage of a live music comeback, though, will be that this group will become less active’

-Dennis, I was wondering if, when the live music returns, people will stop recording themselves and there would be a sort of MandolinCafe Apocalypse. It’s actually quite a scary thought. A void with no mandolins nor music.
    Or maybe people will just post films of their live tunes with occasional comments and nothing much will change?
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fear not, Simon. SAW will continue whatever the outcome of a return to live music. It is a showcase for those of us who use it as a place to share tunes with like-minded souls who live continents apart and are most unlikely ever to meet in the flesh. I know I have met with Bertram and Regina, but that was an exception so far. My regular playing colleagues live much closer to me, only a few miles apart in most cases, but current restrictions prevent us from meeting up for live playing. We live in strange times!