New Five Cents

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I couldn't find this one on here, and it's a good old fiddle tune. I based this version on one by Mike Compton on his and David Grier's "Climbing The Walls" CD. The good ideas are his, the rest is all my own fault.

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's a great tune and mighty fine picking on it too!
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks, Michael!
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very enjoyable- is there an original or "old" Five Cents tune?
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks MM. I don't think there was - I've never seen anything about the origin of the name, but assumed it referred to the introduction of the 5 cent coin or nickel in the 1860s. The new coins contained nickel in order to line the pockets of one Joseph Wharton, who had a virtual monopoly on nickel and a lot of influence in congress at the time. They even passed a bill to make the coin heavier, just so that he could become even more wealthy. But that's just a guess.
  6. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Very nice job OS. That's a good'n you don't hear as much as you should.
  7. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Wow, what a great tune and nice Compton interpretation, Sausage! It's nice to have been gone for awhile from the group and come back and start by seeing this tune! Nice.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Shaun and Rob - very good to have you back, Rob!
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a fun tune, and facinating history on the title. Thanks for posting it here.
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Have a look on Wikipedia, there are a lot of cool facts about the nickel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_...States_coin%29

I particularly enjoyed the bit where congress gets outraged because Spencer M. Clark, the head of the Currency Bureau, put his own face on the five cent note, when the Clark they had meant was the explorer William Clark (of Lewis and Clark).
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent rendition - and a good tale to boot...
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Absolute cracker, OS! Great story of greed and megalomania too.
  13. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    OS excellent choice and picking. The mandolin has a really nice bottom end - what are you playing?
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Dean, it is a Silverangel, made just a year ago today by Ken Ratcliff. Happy birthday, dear mandolin.
  15. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Interesting explanation O S but, if it is the money which is new, why is it not called Five New Cents or The New Nickel? The message I get from the musician when I see "New" at the start of a tune name is " I am not playing this old tune again because I've run out of ideas but because it was so popular I have completely reworked it so it is almost a new tune."
    Perhaps we should ask Mike Compton.
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, what's the difference between "The New Nickel" and "The New Five Cents"? Before they started making 5c pieces out of nickel, they wouldn't have called them nickels. At that time the note would have been the "Old Five Cents", and the "New Five Cents" would have been the coin. They even used to make 3 cent nickels, so if you meant 5c, nickel wouldn't have been a great choice at that time. "Five New Cents" doesn't make sense either because it was the Five Cent piece that was new, not the cents themselves, it's not like decimalization in the 70s. Make sense? I'll bet you a dime Mike Compton doesn't know either, but there's probably a couple of people reading this who could ask him.
  17. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Awesome. You captured the one quintessential Mike thing to my ears--the down slides. Tricky thing to do and still keep your wits about you. I have been in the room with him on more than one occasion to see his mando picking up close, and have taken lessons from him for years...but the economy of motion in his fretting hand still amazes me.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Steve, yes he is such a master at that and it is probably his signature move, along with all the other cool things he does so beautifully.
  19. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Really cool tune! I'm gonna mess around with this one for a while I think! Excellent rendition of it!
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Strange, I thought there was a thread on this tune with more entries.

https://youtu.be/6bl8TJa-sds
  21. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very nice Simon! After hearing OS's high speed version, I would give up any idea of playing this tune.
    But you did it in your tempo, which isn't the slowest one, and it still sounds good, really fluid.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very nice rendition indeed, Simon.
    This Song was Official Tune of the Week # 457 with many great submissions. Last entry dates from Sep-07-2020.
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian and Frithjof I knew I’d seen it sometime -during the heatwave when my brain was frying!
    Ok I’ll post it there. Sorry about that.