Week #533 ~ The Hole in the Hedge

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This weeks overwhelming winner is The Hole in the Hedge, which was submitted as an Irish Jig.

Here is a link to 6 settings of this tune on thesession.org, which says it is also known as The Hole in the Bridge.

2. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Hole in the Hedge, after Hole in the Wall. I’m wondering if this will turn into three weeks of tunes with “Hole” in the title.

3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Jig picking with lots of drive, Mike!
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Wonderful picking, Mike -- lots of energy and bounce. I'm not sure I'll go for this one; I haven't been particularly happy with the last few jigs I've recorded. Maybe I need to strip it down to basics and record a jig unaccompanied, just solo mandolin like your take.

Martin
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great version Mike, rolling motorway music!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well ahead of the game once again, Mike. Nice one!
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That sounds great, Mike. You jigsaw a big hole in the hedge!
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very good Mike. Here is my effort which is the first setting from The Session
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good performance, MM.
  10. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Sounding good, Maudlin. What kind of mandolin do you have there?
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Duncan.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Mike and Maudlin - and if anyone doesn't already have it I highly recommend that Tulla Céilí Band CD in the youtube vid Barbara posted - it's a cracking collection of tunes!
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great playing on your two point mando Maudlin!
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    My attempt:

15. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played Frithjoff, I love the flying/ disappearing mandolin, great video effects. Here is my very quickly done version on my Sobell mandolin and Sobell guitar.

16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wonderful versions all around. The badger ate the mandolin...
    Taking into account, what holes in hedges imply, the origin of the name could be many things. In rural Ireland, it might be part of a shortcut across the fields, with the danger of stepping on a stray sod, waking up in daylight with a new tune in your head...
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely versions guys, will have a go at it this weekend.
    Thanks Jill, that Tulla Ceili Band is great!

Frithjof, I just realised what (I think) it is- the heavy first note of the six 8ths followed by a slight hesitation and then a light note number four.
    It’s like one heavy note followed by a reel of what feels like eight notes.

[edit] Oooops, that’s embarrassing. Just read the notation and the tune is in 3/2 time. Well that would explain it!
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Frithjof and David, two fine offerings, gents. Simon, I have seen jigs in 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8 - singles, slips and slides, but the 3/2 time signature is a new one to me?
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ooops again, sorry John I was thinking about Hole in the Wall.
    https://youtu.be/TUxbcJIOHNY
    X:1
    T: Hole In The Wall
    R: three-two
    M: 3/2
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    |: B3c Bcd2 A2d2 | G3A GAB2 F2B2 | E3F EFG2 D2B2 | G4- G2F2 G4 :|
    g3f efg2 f2e2 | ^d3e def2 B2f2 | g3f efg2 f2e2 | e4- e2^d2 e4 |
    E3F EFG2 FGA2 | G2GA GAB2 ABc2 | B3c Bcd2 D2d2 | B4- B2A2 G4 |]

3/2 time sounds a bit like you’re counting slowly from 1 to 6 per measure or per sung phrase.
    Here are two other old favourites that we used to sing (when I was a kid).
    https://youtu.be/M__xcCbmPqs
    https://youtu.be/LHPYnRT61ds
  20. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The hedgehog seems to like Frithjof's recording. So do I!
    David limits himself to a virtual duo, but sounds as good as he always does.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    After Minor Rigged Ship I seem to be in a sort of jig frame of mind, so here is my version of The Hole in the Hedge. Mandolin with guitar backing once again. I transposed it to D major, in case anyone is trying to play along! The thumbnail is a roe deer in my back garden last January - a lucky shot I managed to get.

22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks folks!
    David – I like your great Sobell duo as well as the assortment of holes in hedges in your footage.
    John – I like the easiness in your playing.
    Simon – I like your confusion. Additional you should keep in mind that it isn’t easy to follow your thoughts for people who didn’t read your comment on YouTube first.